too early for rays in Little Kilary

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

too early for rays in Little Kilary

Postby kieran » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi all

Looking at Sunday, weather will be nice, a couple of days of dry weather might allow fish inshore, wind southerly and light, only problem is HW is around mid day. Was thinking of trying to fish Little Kilary up and down from high water. Only problem is that there have been lots of poor reports from it in recent years . Is it worthwhile? Too early? Would I be better heading off to Clifden?
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: too early for rays in Little Kilary

Postby corbyeire » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:28 pm

id try round clifden if i was you - if one spot is dead you can move a short distance and try again - havent heard a decent report in a while from little killary
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby gfkelly1969 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:13 am

I heard from a lad who fished little killary last week and the fishing was poor,he didn't get any ray only whiting,dogs flounder
I didn't hear any reports from clifden but know of one small ray got in a razor drag
I never caught a ray in clifden bay before mid April,I normally fish near the boat club but if you tried out the bay in deeper water you might chance a early ray
I did hear that there were big shoals of tiny fish around the bay last week so it might bring a few bigger fish in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Postby kieran » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:17 am

thanks guys

As I have the 14 year old with me, I will need to find a place that is fishing or I will have a "where's my xbox" teenager with me the whole day atw which point I will be tempted to drown more than the baits! ;0) Any recommendations on alternatives from Galway to Sligo welcome. I know most of the marks in Mayo and am not convinced about any of them. HW is 1 - 2 pm and its only a 2.5 to 3 metre tide. Weather is set fair. Water temperature is climbing up slowly but its much better down in Cork or Kerry, still quite cold here especially near large fresh water outflows.

The other place I was thinking about was off Erris Head on Belmullet - always wanted to try for a megrim or haddock and they've been taken there. Long walk from the car park albeit we have the benefit of the loop walk and stiles. So any recommendations very welcome. Ta.
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby corbyeire » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:46 pm

i have heard of lads getting rays near clifden all through the year (not this year yet mind!)

sheltered with deep water and alternatives close by - thats what id look for
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats