beginner looking for advice and friends to fish with

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

beginner looking for advice and friends to fish with

Postby saving private brian » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 pm

hi lads.my name is brian and i live on the north mayo coast.in the last year sinc e returning from australia i have gone massive in to shore angling.am in to beaches,estuarys,channels and off the rocks fishing.i have realised that it can be quiet expensive to use the best gear in this sport.i hope to get the gear in sections.at the momentmy equipment is half decent which i think.i hope some 1 can get back to me and asure me its ok gear.im using a 14ft sonik sk3 with a mitchell gita sw 700 fixed spool and an 11ft 6" shakespeare salt bass with a shakespeare salt surf fixed spool.all the most of my other gear(eg boxes,bait bags,rod holdalls,rod stands) is shakespeare.when i get more experience in shore angling would i need to upgrade my equipment or is the gear im using ok.would like to hear from more experienced shore anglers on tips and if any 1 has any good marks for the west of ireland.also i would love to meet pals in this sport to enjoy the game with them and learn.any day or nite sessions on the beaches or rocks in the west i would really consider joining if asked.this is my first message on here and hope to get replys.am seriously determined to become a top shore angler
Thanks Brian
saving private brian
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 182 times

Re: beginner looking for advice and friends to fish with

Postby Conger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi Brian

Welcome to the site, the gear you have there sounds the bizz and you probably would not need to upgrade for some time yet. There are a lot of lads on the site that fish around your area with loads of experience that would be well worth hooking up with. Hope all goes well and best of luck on the shore :D :D :D :D

Regards

Seamus
Speices 2011 : Codling, Whiting, Bass, Flounder, Ray, Dogfish, Turbot

Speices 2012 : codling, Bass (pb), Flounder

Speices 2013 : Codling, thornie, Bass, whiting, coalie, flounder,dogfish,painted ray, Sea trout, Turbot

Species 2014 : Codling, thornie, turbot, flounder

2011 PB List - Ray 7lb
2012 PB List - Bass 11lb
2013 PB List - Painted Ray 10.5lb, 1lb 3b rockling, 10lb Thornback Ray, 1lb Sea Trout
Conger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 136 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby dfella25 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:03 am

Hi Brian,

Don't be worrying about the best of gear. Some other stuff like water proofs (boots/waders), head torch, good knife can be as important as top of the range rods and reels. Your best bet is to find a local club and join up. You'll will learn so much from chatting to lads at comps and meets.

Conor
dfella25
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 131 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby doggie3131 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 am

hi brian,welcome to the site,the gear is fine,the salt range of rods are fine,im from mayo myself there are a few of us that fish all over mayo,galway,and sligo.We will give you a shout the next time we are fishing a mayo venue,where in mayo are you based?
species 2012.........(12)seatrout,bass,turbot,flounder,brill,lsd,coalie,shore rockling,pollock,pout,poor cod,gray gurnard

species 2011 (20) flounder,whiting,poor cod,5 beard rockling,lsd.coalie,thornie,three bearded rockling,shore rockling.seatrout.turbot,plaice,brill,pollock,ballen wrasse.huss,pout,cookoo wrasse,corking wrasse,dab.

species 2010,(27)

PROUD member of Galway Buccaneers SAC
doggie3131
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 24 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby chrisfeeney30 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 am

dfella25 wrote:
Your best bet is to find a local club and join up. You'll will learn so much from chatting to lads at comps and meets.

You should consider joining Galway bay SAC, as conor said you will meet loads of new people and get to fish plenty of differant marks! http://galwaybaysac.com/ There is an outing this sunday on lettergesh beach from 1.30!
Galway Bay S.A.C member 2012
chrisfeeney30
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby crazyfish1983 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Mate

Your gear sounds like the bee's knees, and actually quite fancy for a beginner. I started with a £30 12ft reel and rod combo. Caught me plenty of fish too I mite add. It is not always the quality of the gear that counts. The mark, angler and bait can be more important. As some of the lads said invest in good clothing and footwear which can make the difference between a ten minute and ten hour session. On most beaches you are against the elements so warm and safe cothing are a must. A good flotation suit should help you out here.

Hope this helps.
crazyfish1983
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby corbyeire » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm

brian get yourself down to lettergesh this sunday - i highly recommend it - you will meet many local anglers in a relaxed atmosphere and they will be glad to answer your questions

by the sounds of it some of them might even learn a thing or 2 off yourself :lol:
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby lucky » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:45 pm

corbyeire wrote:brian get yourself down to lettergesh this sunday - i highly recommend it - you will meet many local anglers in a relaxed atmosphere and they will be glad to answer your questions

by the sounds of it some of them might even learn a thing or 2 off yourself :lol:

ha mate welcome to the site.. the only advice you can get is,, to get out there and do it,,, like all the orther lads said the gear you have is fine... by the way im in galway ,so if you ever want to fish this side pm me..
cheers...
alan....
SHORE SPECIES 2012... coalie,

boat species09~~~pollack,cod,haddock,whiting,doggies,bullhuss,tope,john dory,thornebsck,blonde,blue shark,spur dog,wrase,gunnard,pouting,

shore species 2010~~~ dab,flounder,thorneback ray,pollack,plaice,coalies,turbot,wrasse,bull huss, lsd...

boat trips 4 result..pouting,, spurdog.pollack,
shore trips 2010.... 36.....

wish list 2010..sea trout....
lucky
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 86 times

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats