beginner looking for advice and friends to fish with

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 pm

hi lads.my name is brian and i live on the north mayo coast.in the last year sinc e returning from australia i have gone massive in to shore angling.am in to beaches,estuarys,channels and off the rocks fishing.i have realised that it can be quiet expensive to use the best gear in this sport.i hope to get the gear in sections.at the momentmy equipment is half decent which i think.i hope some 1 can get back to me and asure me its ok gear.im using a 14ft sonik sk3 with a mitchell gita sw 700 fixed spool and an 11ft 6" shakespeare salt bass with a shakespeare salt surf fixed spool.all the most of my other gear(eg boxes,bait bags,rod holdalls,rod stands) is shakespeare.when i get more experience in shore angling would i need to upgrade my equipment or is the gear im using ok.would like to hear from more experienced shore anglers on tips and if any 1 has any good marks for the west of ireland.also i would love to meet pals in this sport to enjoy the game with them and learn.any day or nite sessions on the beaches or rocks in the west i would really consider joining if asked.this is my first message on here and hope to get replys.am seriously determined to become a top shore angler
Thanks Brian

Re: beginner looking for advice and friends to fish with

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi Brian

Welcome to the site, the gear you have there sounds the bizz and you probably would not need to upgrade for some time yet. There are a lot of lads on the site that fish around your area with loads of experience that would be well worth hooking up with. Hope all goes well and best of luck on the shore :D :D :D :D

Regards

Seamus

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:03 am

Hi Brian,

Don't be worrying about the best of gear. Some other stuff like water proofs (boots/waders), head torch, good knife can be as important as top of the range rods and reels. Your best bet is to find a local club and join up. You'll will learn so much from chatting to lads at comps and meets.

Conor

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 am

hi brian,welcome to the site,the gear is fine,the salt range of rods are fine,im from mayo myself there are a few of us that fish all over mayo,galway,and sligo.We will give you a shout the next time we are fishing a mayo venue,where in mayo are you based?

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 am

dfella25 wrote:
Your best bet is to find a local club and join up. You'll will learn so much from chatting to lads at comps and meets.

You should consider joining Galway bay SAC, as conor said you will meet loads of new people and get to fish plenty of differant marks! http://galwaybaysac.com/ There is an outing this sunday on lettergesh beach from 1.30!

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Mate

Your gear sounds like the bee's knees, and actually quite fancy for a beginner. I started with a £30 12ft reel and rod combo. Caught me plenty of fish too I mite add. It is not always the quality of the gear that counts. The mark, angler and bait can be more important. As some of the lads said invest in good clothing and footwear which can make the difference between a ten minute and ten hour session. On most beaches you are against the elements so warm and safe cothing are a must. A good flotation suit should help you out here.

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm

brian get yourself down to lettergesh this sunday - i highly recommend it - you will meet many local anglers in a relaxed atmosphere and they will be glad to answer your questions

by the sounds of it some of them might even learn a thing or 2 off yourself :lol:

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:45 pm

corbyeire wrote:brian get yourself down to lettergesh this sunday - i highly recommend it - you will meet many local anglers in a relaxed atmosphere and they will be glad to answer your questions

by the sounds of it some of them might even learn a thing or 2 off yourself :lol:

ha mate welcome to the site.. the only advice you can get is,, to get out there and do it,,, like all the orther lads said the gear you have is fine... by the way im in galway ,so if you ever want to fish this side pm me..
cheers...
alan....