Sea Angling Ireland Forum Fish off

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

Postby m.b3 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:40 pm

only problem with fishin on a Sat. is getting bait??? the days will be pretty short too at this time of year. although i do see your piont about work being next morning. sometimes i wake up the next morning, following a good session, with a kind of hangover type thing!!? maybe the glare from the sea or something??? is it just me? any takers?

what venue would yee be thinking of?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Seaniebo » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:33 pm

How about saturday 30th of october? Id be happy to offer a lift to anyone relatively close who might be stuck. Could we just turn up and have a raffle for a t shirt to avoid the insurance problem? all proceeds going to sai. Would this date be ok for you idpearl with your france trip
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Insurance

Postby JimC » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:13 pm

Sorry to be butting in on the shore anglers!
Isn't it a sad state of affairs that you cannot even organise a fishing comp among adults because of fear about insurance. We are in a similar boat (excuse the pun) in relation to boat competitions. It's a sad fact that people who are giving up their valuable time in order to promote the sport on a voluntary basis are then liable if some tosser slips on a rock or falls off a slip and decides to claim.......what's the country coming to?

Ye could always organise a weigh-in. Then nobodys liable for what happens during the fishing.

I've finished my rant. Now ye can go back to organising!!!!!!!

Jim.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:29 pm

can i suggest an earlier finish because getting back from greystones at that time would be a nightmare :evil:

Postby steve l » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:47 pm

high tide is at 13:33 on 30th of october.maybe if meet was on earlier and we fished through the high.
steve l

Postby steve l » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:48 pm

high tide is at 13:33 on 30th of october.maybe if meet was on earlier and we fished through the high.
steve l

Fish meet

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:53 pm

Super idea lads. Been out of country for the last few months with work and have not fished. Itchin to get out and an opertunity to meet fellow anglers would be great. Dates don't really bother me as I work shift so I'll go with the flow.

Postby Lenny » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:59 pm

Sorry about the double entry, and that last post was mine.
Lenny

Date

Postby Ed Burke » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:29 pm

Has there been any confirmed yet? Why not have the meet up sooner than the end of October. Kieran can you work on a date that would suit most people so I can start filling out permission slips for the home office and work? From experience Greystone is best fished at dark so a high tide coinciding with 2 hours of darkness would be ideal. A carpool would help those who depend on public transport get back to the city etc
Ed Burke

setting a date and a meet

Postby kieran » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:17 pm

Hi lads

Why are you asking a guy who lives in Castlebar to organise a meet in Wicklow!!!

Greystones and the south wicklow area is a problem with tide prediction - to give you an example on the 9th October (Satuday) the high tide in Dun Laoghaire is at 8 pm at around 3.5 metres, and on the same day, the high tide in Wexford Town is around 1.2 metres and it is scheduled for 2pm. It is a fairly unique phenomenon that occurs regularly around the south east. Wicklow is listed at around 2 metres and at 7:30 pm so I reckon it would be okay.

Greystones on Saturday 9th October - south beach - or one of the other landmarks (pubs!) would be a good options for yez...

If this is to be a social gathering, at least start it in daylight!
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Donagh » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:12 am

Tides between Dun Laoghaire and wicklow town only vary by I think a 1/2 an hour at most. Arklow is more than 2 hours different from wicklow. You can have this 0 tide thing in Ennereilly on neaps.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby The Dirty Fecker » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:42 am

I have travelled by boat up and down this coast line from Cahore to Dublin many times and am familiar with this 'Phenomenon' you speak of. Basicly the tide starts coming in then changes its mind and starts going out again for a much smaller tide and then reverts back again! This pattern changes throughout the month resulting sometimes in three tides a day! This effect really only starts to take place from Wicklow head to Black Water where the tide coming in or out does not effect the fishing in any way. All that matters is that the tide is moving. Slack water results in quiet periods of no action. The water only rises or lowers by 1-2 ft in this whole area resulting in no kelp on rocks and weed free slipways. Greystones is not really affected by this, following the normal pattern of rise and falls of 10 ft. As a rule Greystones tide is an hour ahead of the bull wall tide marker. Just look at Dublin bay times and the tide should start coming in an hour earlier.... :wink: I think the phenomen is caused by the tide comeing in from the North Atlantic being met by the tide comeing in from the Celtic sea. The two meet and while one starts to retreat the other is still flowing. this causes a bit of a
The Dirty Fecker

greystones

Postby The Dirty Fecker » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:29 pm

greystones tide is about an hour ahead of Dublin. The phenomenon you refer to only stretches between Wicklow head and Black Water. :wink:
The Dirty Fecker

Postby Donagh » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:50 pm

I just checked the the tide tables for today and wicklow and dublin are only 20 minutes apart. Arklow is 2 hours behind Wicklow.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby The Dirty Fecker » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:58 pm

The tide times for 'Wicklow' are totally mad! If you check Wicklow head you will often see several rises and falls in one day. (up to seven!) The 'Wicklow' chart is from Mizzen Head right up to Bray! Thats a fair stretch of coast! This can vary on this chart from day to day considerably. There is no hard and fast rule for 'Wicklow' as it is known on the charts.
The Dirty Fecker

Postby IDPearl » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:16 pm

Still sounds like fun to me! I think we may be taking the tides too seriously for this event. I know we all like catching fish, but for this event I think it's more the taking part that is important. If we were to fish at say 2:00pm and fish through to an hour or three into darkness, that would cover a good tidal sweep. Fish have to feed if they are there and we would all be on an equal playing field barring certain advantages of underwater features.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:52 pm

A group of fishing Buddies have decided to fish a beach at a certain time
While we are here we will have €20 a man, if you want to.
I have a few prizes they are presents the wife and myself got.

Each person is there as an individual and is responsable for themselves

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:36 pm

any date set yet

Postby IDPearl » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:09 pm

Suggestions have been looking at 30 October. I think it is high tide at around 2pm.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

fishing

Postby The Dirty Fecker » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:17 pm

Would it not be better to stage it in the hours of darkness? At least you would have the chance of catching something? :?
The Dirty Fecker

PreviousNext

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats