Sea Angling Ireland Forum Fish off

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

Sea Angling Ireland Forum Fish off

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:01 am

This is something that has been mentioned in the past so it's not a new idea.

How about a get together of the forum members, our own little match? Ten euro a head entry, with some small prizes, and the remainder of the money going towards the upkeep of the forum? Even if only 20 people turn up we could still raise 100 euro or so for the forum? Not a lot I know but it would be a start, and we could take it from there? Plus somebody would get the honour of being SAI Champion!

Now Kieran, before you say it, we are well aware that this is a non profit website. However we are also aware that you pay cash from you own pocket to run something that gives us all hours of enjoyment each week. So if we could have a meet that we would all definitely enjoy, plus earn some cash to make the website even better, then surely this can only be a good thing?

I don't know if this idea is feasible as we have anglers from all around the country on the website, and it may be difficult getting numbers to travel.

So firstly, Kieran, what do you think of the idea? And if you are on for it, how about the rest of you?
Steve O'Hanlon

Postby johnhig » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:33 am

Even though I am only new to the site I'd be interested as I wish I had found this site a couple of years ago.

John
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

a good idea?

Postby kieran » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:08 am

Hi all

I have no objection to people fund raising for the maintenance of the site or specifically for its development and I'll certainly how people how the funds are used on your behalf. What would concern me however would be issues of liability and insurance related to any meet. It would have to be explicitly understood that SAI or MBMS Ltd. (which pays the bills) can not accept any liability whatsoever for any such meeting... in regard to insurance I have been in touch with the ISFA several times and have yet to hear back. I am not even sure if the item has finally made it onto their monthly meeting's agenda (I'll bang off an email now). What I was thinking of was a good quality polo or T-shirt with the logo on the front and CPR for fish ("catch, photograph and release") on the back.

All comments welcome

RSVP
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Donagh » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:41 pm

I think alot us of would like to put names tofaces but saying that I doubt I'll be able to go any distance for a while. The one thing I would say is ,sadly enough, I wouldn't recommend anyone orgainising a competition like this unless you've liability insurance. A fish in would be still worth while without a competition.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Don » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:55 pm

I think this is a great idea also. Is there no way around the insurance?

We could organise it through communicating on this forum but it does not necessarily have to be a SAI competition.

Failing that is there any way that individuals can organise their own insurance cover?

Thoughts?

Don.
Gone Fishin, there's a sign upon the door............
Don
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby jfkireland » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:36 pm

Lads,
I think if everyone just meets up a certain place and fishes for a few hours, there shouldn't be a problem.
I for one generally fish on my own, but more often than not, wherever I go to fish there are other people. I dont believe I have insurance for this activity. I would always chat, share ideas etc with most people whom I meet. Why could we not do something that?
Forgive me if I am being naive, but a few quid into a hat, and a couple of t-shirts for biggest fish or most species - wheres the problem?
Cheers
JK
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Donagh » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:46 pm

Jk,

My point is exactly that. If we were to meet up through the forum that would be fine. As I understand it if one of us orgainises a competition where money changes hands then that person would then have a duty of care for the competitiors.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby alby » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:37 pm

I would certainly be interested in fishing a Forum fishoff. They do a similar thing on the TSF forum with great success. I have already met a fair few people off the web for fishing outings and it certainly helps catch fish when there are a few heads put together.

I suppose at the moment a night fishing excursion would probably be most productive, if we all choose dates and even venues when we are available and try to work around these. Anyway, I hope the ball get's rolling soon, certainly would be nice to put faces to names.
alby
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 215 times

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:22 pm

i think its a great idea and as long as sai is not held resposible i dont see any problem

Postby steve l » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:25 pm

sorry that was me
steve l

Postby m.b3 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:36 pm

i really was just thinking the same thing! maybe a 'fish and meet'? could be run like a comp but with a T-shirt (a great idea by the way Kieran, would be proud to wear one) as a prize then we could avoid the insurance thingy? have prizes for best flat and round, most caught, etc? i would have no problem donating money to the site but as soon as insurance gets a mention it all gets too bloody serious. it should be fun.

i agree with Donagh. travel is a problem. i think it would have to be left to individuals to set up a 'collective' in their area, eg. an east coast mark, etc. people could travel to the nearest 'meet'.

come on lads think of something! it'll be a bit of crack.

night fishing probably would be better alright Alby. however, there are some on the sight that might not want to meet in the dark, like IDPearl!!!!! no seriously, i think it would be better to fish in daylight and maybe up into darkness and see how it goes. means that you will actually be able to put names to faces (and not big wooly hats!).

thanks again all,

Mark.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby IDPearl » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:35 pm

Now you've done it m.b3! I'm not that scary guys - honest.

I've been quietly monitoring this post from the sidelines, to see who's up for it. I'm up for a fish off, but what are the rules? Can I bring 3 rods and a lobster pot or are you restricted to 2? :twisted:

Would be interesting to find a venue that we could all be equal in location and see which rigs/bait/distance/method is the most successful combination - I'm sure we would all benefit.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

sounds good

Postby Jon Moloney » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:53 pm

Well I'm up for it too. maybe instead of people paying for a comp we could simply donate through the website (paypal account or something).
Those who donate are entitled to a T-shirt those don't can turn up and buy the beers... :shock: :lol:

The downside is that you'd probably want to set a date well into the furture so folk can have plenty of time to make sure they can go. It takes a while for me to find where the missus hid me buspass anyway.

Keiran: I'd donate a few bob either way if you set up a paypal account for yourself

Jon
Jon Moloney

Postby Tanglerat » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:26 pm

They do a similar thing on the TSF forum with great success
careful....... :shock: They're a happy bunch over there, might not be right to introduce innocent young minds to them... :lol:

One of the reasons their meets are so sucessful is because they decided right from the start to make them friendly, non-competitive meets. That way, all you have to do is join in and have some fun, with no pressure to compete with the anglers standing beside you.

I reckon that's the way to go. You can have the nicest, friendliest mate but introduce a competitive element and he turns into a jealous, nit-picking must-win-at-all-costs begrudger.

I loathe, hate and despise competitive angling. :evil: The whole point of angling is you against the fish and the elements, not you against other anglers.

I don't fish club comps anymore. I just turn up and fish for fun. Which really really annoys some of the guys in the club when I do better than them. There's something about the fact that they might've won the comp, but I caught better, that seems to hack them right off. :twisted:

And they're all nice guys otherwise, too. See what I mean about comps bringing out the worst in some people?

Just everyone turn up in the same place at the same time and go fishing. That's the way to do it! :P
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Seaniebo » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:48 pm

Great idea lads. Id love to come along to any fish meet. Probably just needs somebody to name a date and venue for each provence and see what happens from there. How about I suggest Sunday the 7th Nov Greystones south beach for the east coast meet from 17.00 to 22.00 and others suggest dates that suit them and something can be worked out. Im fairly new to the forum so i hope im not over stepping the mark, just trying to get the ball rolling :oops:
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Drew » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:24 pm

Should somebody not shift this to the Clubs and Meets section... Just to keep it all organsied, !!!Laffin!!!, I'd go to these things, But I have to get a lift everywhere cos I havent been arsed learning to Drive!!! Its really nice to see a Real nationwide network of Anglers coming together!
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby alby » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:11 am

Sunday the 7th Nov Greystones south beach for the east coast meet from 17.00 to 22.00

I'd certainly be up for that Seaniebo. Anyone else fancy that date/time/venue.
alby
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 215 times

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:51 am

Tanglerat, take your point about a match turning people nasty, we are all competitive animals by nature. The only reason I suggested it was because it seemed a valid way of earning some funds for the website development. I wasn't really aware of the insurance problem so thats that I suppose. Is there no way around this so we can collect some cash?

Still the fish and meet idea seems to have gone down well. And the idea of a polo shirt for best fish/overall catch (in centimetres as it would be catch and release) would be good too (or does that count as a prize and get insurance involved again??). And again - if we cannot pay cash without it being deemed a match, how do we pay for the polo shirts!

Could I suggest a Saturday rather than a Sunday? Depending on the venue, some anglers may end up travelling 2 hours plus, and if we fish till 10 pm thay may not end up getting home till very late, with the prospect of a Monday morning at work ahead of them...at least they would get a lie in if it was fished Saturday evening/night.
Steve O'Hanlon

Postby IDPearl » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:30 pm

Typical! I'll be in France that weekend!! :cry:
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

fishing

Postby stevecrow74 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:18 pm

insurance... i thought it was fishing not flying on a plane.. yes i know it can be a bit dangerous with 5oz leads flying about.. but hey these things happen... never had any serious snap off's ( all gone out to sea )

as for location.. any where there can be a garauntee of fish been caught.. but don't forget there are some of us who don't have cars (that whole insurance thing again)

so if you look at it as a friendly match that you chip in a few quid and win a few quid who needs to telll those insurance people (and it keeps a geat web site going (i'm not getting paid to say that))

all i say is hell yeah meet more fishy people...
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Next

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats