License and permit bought

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:37 pm

My gear isnt good enough for the local shore marks here in NW donegal atm so whilst I wait for better stuff I went ahead and signed up to the local rivers and IFI. Around 100e wasnt bad for the season. Had a lovely walk down the Tullaghobegley river and up the Ray river yesterday. Have to say the work the local angling association has done here to make these rivers so accessible with pathways and jump fence bridges(not sure of the correct name) has been really great to see. I will upload pictures in due time. Although not much action was happening on both. Is it possible that its a little too early in the season for me to think about dropping a line in? I could see straight to the bottom in most pools and the Tullaghobegley was quite shallow in some areas. If anyone here has any advice on whens the best time of year for salmon and trout runs or any advice at all would be greatly appreciated for this newcomer. Many thanks!

Re: License and permit bought

Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:35 pm

Once you are respecting the allowed time lines - its always time to wet a line
you could be waiting for the perfect conditions and then when they do arrive you cant get out

youll need plenty of time to learn your stretches so early and often is the advice...

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 pm

corbyeire wrote:Once you are respecting the allowed time lines - its always time to wet a line
you could be waiting for the perfect conditions and then when they do arrive you cant get out

youll need plenty of time to learn your stretches so early and often is the advice...

Thanks for that! Rivers been open since the first of this month until the end of September. With that little bit of motivation you gave me I might just head out.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:44 am

Will be the odd salmon in tullaghbegly from April and a good run in mid July onwards depending on flood,, the ray is pretty late too ,, June or July,, first decent summer rain you'll see fish jumping up the bawaan pool,, pretty cool sight,, i don't fish the salmon at all though, but if the travel restrictions continue they might come under a bit of pressure from me, plenty seatrout in floods too,,

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:16 am

Exactly the insight was looking for Martin. Thanks mate