How has your year been?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Had completely forgotten that this section of the forum was here.

So for you salmon and trout anglers out there, and seeing that the game season ends soon, how was your year this year?

Seemingly the salmon runs have been excellent this year, with some rivers seeing their best runs in over a decade.

On the trout front, I had a brilliant start after the lockdown, perhaps the reduced angling pressure made a difference. The middle of the summer went a bit quiet for me although I did catch my PB river trout one evening. I'm sickened that I'm missing September which is normally one of the best months due to an ankle injury. It's on the mend now so am hoping for one more good day out before the end of the year.

Re: How has your year been?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm

My local river was paved with sea trout like never before, PB's for anyone who fished it.

No club so have it practically to myself. A year that will live long in the memory.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 pm

That's great Gearóid, what part of the country are you in?

During lockdown I was fishing the Glashaboy River in Glanmire because it was within my 5 k and one day I saw 5 or 6 sea trout mooching in a pool, good size ones too

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:09 am

Was home in west Limerick from March to Sep and fortunately, like yourself, the river was within 500 metres of my house.

Had my PB sea & brown over the summer, but the salmon remain elusive on this river.

Any size to your PB?

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:32 pm

It was 13 1/2 inches which is a good size fish on my home river!

I probably caught bigger on a day fishing the Siúr last year but I didn't have a measure with me so I couldn't claim it for my record book.