Lough Carra & Lough Conn

Anything about angling for Salmon and Trout

Lough Carra & Lough Conn

Postby Kevvv » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am

This area of the forum is quieter than expected.. although makes sense considering it's a sea angling forum :lol:

Due to fish both Lough Carra and Lough Conn soon. Have fly fished on Lough Carra once before with no luck.

Planning on fly fishing again for the most part, but also going to bring a spinning rod too. Targeting trout really. Has anyone had luck here before or could they point me in the right direction for flies for this time of year or anything worth putting onto the end of the spinning rod? Will be fishing from a boat.

Thanks in advance!
Kevvv
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Re: Lough Carra & Lough Conn

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Hi Kevvv
I have never fished Carra before but have a good friend (and good angler) who fishes it now and then; he was there for a few days a few days ago.
He said that it was tough, he was mainly fishing dry fly.
He was hoping for daddies, sedges and olives to be on the water at this time of year but he only saw a few very small olives, no daddies or sedges. He caught some fish on a small #16 olive emerger, and a fish on a dry sedge pattern also.
He saw only a few rises and so mainly fished blind around structure/shallows etc. He did quite well given the conditions.
I'll post you the pic of the actual little emerger that he had success with..
I'd say the little olives will be key but don't see why a trout wouldn't come up to a daddy or a sedge. Otherwise you could try pulling wets (or go down with lures or nymphs etc)
Will be interested to hear how you get on.. as I'll be heading that way next week hopefully..
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Re: Lough Carra & Lough Conn

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:50 pm

olive emerger:
size 16-18
Attachments
image1.jpeg