Anyone tried the Penn 525 Tmag yet?

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:46 pm

Just wondered if it was much better than the 525 Mag?

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:06 pm

IDPearl i have not yet tried it. the reel set up is similar too the 525 mag. the benefit of the mag T is that it gives you instant tuning. this means you can tune it to conditions ON THE BEACH by simply turning the dial. it also allows you to ease of the breaking mid cast! counting a few seconds into the cast and then easing off the breaks in theory means more distance. how much i don't actually know and would be very interested in finding out. not a substitute for bad technique though. what i do like about it is that you can turn the dial to suit different rigs. a one hook clipped rig will fly out with minimal resistance meaning the reel will run smoothly. change over to a 3 hook flapper and you could be in trouble. what this means is that you have to tune the reel to suit the 3 hook flapper thus loosing distance on the 1 hook clipped down. the mag T i am sure with a little practice can eliminate this gap. i think it could be handy if you want to slow the reel right down in extreme conditions or for accurate overhead lobbing which could cause an over run on a standard set up. considering one myself!

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:36 pm

i've been doing a little research! look at Neil Mackelow's message board. 525 V 525 mag T. Neil rates the mag T for pretty much the same reasons i gave above. this has made my mind up. have a look yourself. he also dosen't like using bike tubing to grip the spool!

525 mag T

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:55 pm

I use this reel from time to time it seems to run well I never had an over run on it yet the only disadvantage is there is no ratchet so you would have to be close to your rod when fishing.
I filled it up with 15lbs berkley trilene and it spins well I would prefer this to the abu for match fishing on clean beaches especially when I fish the East coast it brings in those treble shots much quicker than the Abu 6500.
Another thing I noticed is you can fill her right up and it wont over run as long as you have the knoby brake set right.

Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:15 pm

no ratchet? that is a shame, pity. thanks for the info.

525 Mag

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:16 pm

Bought the 525 SuperMag this morning. Like a kid in a sweetshop at the Tackle place, all eyes and no sense. Got it home and 'then' started to take a good look at it. The word 'Super' had been stuck on the box which was simply a 525 Mag box. There was a piece of paper inside saying it was a 'SuperMag from Neil Mackellow but the reel itself looked and was marked as a 525 mag! Was on the verge of phoning the tackle shop up and whingeing I'd been ripped off when I decided to check N M's site. Many whinges over the same events. Neil explained that the reels are in fact 'SuperMags with the ceramic bearings, extra mags etc but the 'Super' decals are in transit. Hope I never need to sell it!

SuperMag

Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:40 pm

Had confirmation from Neil Mackellow and the tackle shop regarding the new 525 SuperMag. The ones out there at the moment that come with the Penn Combo offers are indeed upgraded 525 Mags and no different to the model shown in the advert except for the cosmetics, i.e the 'SuperMag' decal. The bearings have been upgraded to ABEC 5. The additional magnets, as can be seen when the cover's off, are two extra which are set in piggy-back on the two original central Mags. Decals are due shortly to upgrade the cosmetics. But will it help me catch fish? :roll:

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:04 pm

Red Rocket Fuel in 'em as well??