penn mag 525

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

penn mag 525

Postby m.b3 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:28 pm

i purchased this reel about 4 years ago. to tune this reel u must oil the bearings inside the spool with red rocket fuel. turn the magnietic brakes back to zero. it is a good idea to fill the spool to 1/4 of an inch of the spool lip. this is the initial set up. any tweaking after this is up to the individuals preference or casting style. this should see you with a reel capable of fish in most if not all conditions and also with different rigs and bait sizes. when set up like this it will still cast a long way too.

pro's: maintanance is easy.

high speed retrieve, this is handy for getting in over rocks but better still reeling in from a distance!

the reel handles a standard 15lb. line for clean beach fishing well. it can also be used for mixed/ rough ground with lines up to 25lb. and even 30lb.

the star drag is smooth and easy to move whilst playing a fish.

there is also a ratchet that allows you to be alarmed to bites/ fish taking line. this is ideal if you are fishing for large fish or if you have your head down baiting up another rig!

easy to obtain spares and Mick Simmon's the reel repair guy is a gentleman!

a solid, reliable reel that can be cast a long way. i have since bought a second and am going to purchase another soon.

con's: the magnets on the newer reels are prone to 'flicking' out. this is not a major problem and they are easily stuck back in place with a tiny blob of superglue. however, if this happened on the beach it would spell disaster. after you purchase the reel check to make sure all the magnets are secure.

the general perception is that this reel is a little racey. i do not agree with this. if the reel is tuned properly then it is rare to have a problem.

care most be taken removing the bearings from the spool. try using the spool spindle to push them out. the problem is that the bearing are a tight fit and require a little force to get them out. it is possible to damage them if you force them too hard.

the mag is probably a little big for someone that spends 99% of there time fishing clean beaches.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Donagh » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:25 am

I believe the mags are only likely to pop out when the taking off the cap end to take out the spool. This was my experience anyway. I mentioned before about the slidey flicking to zero. A bit of blue tack will sort this out. Some people find the mags to heavy and flick a couple out with a scalpel so make sure you only use a speck of glue when glueing the mags back in in case you need to do this later on. Also mags should have opposing polarities NSNS.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby m.b3 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:48 pm

Donagh is right. the magnets do need to be placed back in with opposing polarities. Donagh i have never had a problem with the 'slidey' flicking to zero. maybe u should contact penn reel service.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Donagh » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:31 pm

The slidey issue usually only happens on first cast so I'd say the slidey being knocked to zero in transport. Of course I should check its setting but I usually forget. :oops:

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Magnets

Postby nthclare » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:41 pm

I poped out two magnets and the reel cast's much further and sounds better.
nthclare
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby m.b3 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:29 pm

apparently it is possible to purchase slow and fast reels. could you have gotten a slow reel Neilus? popping 2 mags out sounds dogdy!

forgot to mention above- if the reel is running too fast use thicker oil, even liquid grease. alternatively you can buy more magnets (they are cheap) and place them behind the mags already on the reel. i know of one match angler that oils all 4 bearings and pushes the slidy up to fast/ 0. haven't seen the reel in action with this set up though.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby m.b3 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:32 pm

apparently it is possible to purchase slow and fast reels. could you have gotten a slow reel Neilus? popping 2 mags out sounds dogdy!

forgot to mention above- if the reel is running too fast use thicker oil, even liquid grease. alternatively you can buy more magnets (they are cheap) and place them behind the mags already on the reel. i know of one match angler that oils all 4 bearings and pushes the slidy up to fast/ 0. haven't seen the reel in action with this set up though.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Slow one

Postby nthclare » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:44 pm

Mine was a slow reel but I notice with all my 525 mags they make a noise when cast but when two magnets fell out of one by accident and never to be seen again I decided to use it fishing .
I went down to one of my local marks and lobbed a 5oz to wet the line the lead kept on going and the reel felt smoother .
So i popped out two more from a new reel and it cast like a dream.
When power casting I usually put my thumb on the side of the spool instead of the line to slow it down before it hits the water.
nthclare
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby m.b3 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:27 pm

i would be a bit cautious removing magnets myself but if it works and you do seem happy then why not? could you not have just put the mags closer to fast Neilus?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby m.b3 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:28 pm

i would be a bit cautious removing magnets myself but if it works and you do seem happy then why not? could you not have just put the mags closer to fast Neilus?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers