ABU 5000

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

ABU 5000

Postby bigden » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:39 pm

I bought one of these on EBay recently for £25, nearly new and immaculate. I first owned one nearly 30 years ago and it's my all-time favourite reel, don't know if it's still in production. It's a small multiplier, perfect for bassing with a light rod and 2/3oz weights, but just as capable of casting 4/5oz with a beachcaster or a 28g lure with a spinning rod. If you haven't tried spinning with a small multiplier, I'd recommend it. I find it much easier to 'work' the lure, don't know why. The only minor negative is that the levelwind is quite narrow and prone to trapping leader knots, so they need to be neat and well-trimmed. Otherwise it's traditional ABU high quality in all respects. I'm no tuning expert, so it only ever gets basic lubrication, but I'm sure it would respond well to informed tinkering. EBay by the way is great for good second-hand tackle - just make sure you have a good look at the seller's feedback before bidding. Need to be more careful with new tackle though - there are some real villains to be found. I don't work for ABU BTW - just love their reels. I also have a battered 7000 bought in 1973 which still works like a dream.
bigden
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Adrian » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:27 pm

Have to agree with the comments re ebay, I was looking for a beach reel recently and the Daiwa Jupiter 5500 or 6000 looked like the best value. I ended up getting a lot of 3 jupiters on ebay which suited as I need a new spinning reel as well, 3 X S5500 and 1 X S4500 for about €42 including postage from the US, sold as shop returns (I was confident I could fix any problems as parts for these are available), all three were perfect and had never been on a rod. Bought them from a seller who had 100% feedback from buyers after selling over 1300 items. Well worth a look.
Adrian

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers