Greys PZ Match (Orginal)

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Greys PZ Match (Orginal)

Postby drseafish » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:22 pm

This rod is still available and I assume cheaper than when I got it over 2 yrs ago. It has been replaced but by all accounts the latest version does not do the orginal justice.
I fitted a reel seat and use a multipler and its a great match rod and can handle a good blow in the surf. None of this is it a bite or not. You can feel the fish reeling in and the tip is very responcive. I would give it 8/9 out of 10. Fuji rings etc. The only quirk I had is the tip is black, but I got some white luminious tape which works as good if not better than some painted tips.
Its casts up to 6oz (I typically use 4/5oz with bait) and get hit 150 yards and the rod is capable of more (I am not just yet). The narrow blank and light weight make it easier to cast and fish with.
drseafish
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Greys PZ Match (Orginal)

Postby johnhig » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:44 pm

drseafish wrote:This rod is still available and I assume cheaper than when I got it over 2 yrs ago. It has been replaced but by all accounts the latest version does not do the orginal justice.
I fitted a reel seat and use a multipler and its a great match rod and can handle a good blow in the surf. None of this is it a bite or not. You can feel the fish reeling in and the tip is very responcive. I would give it 8/9 out of 10. Fuji rings etc. The only quirk I had is the tip is black, but I got some white luminious tape which works as good if not better than some painted tips.
Its casts up to 6oz (I typically use 4/5oz with bait) and get hit 150 yards and the rod is capable of more (I am not just yet). The narrow blank and light weight make it easier to cast and fish with.

I'd agree with a 9 out of 10 for this rod..Have mine now 3 years and after getting quite a few decent fish on it and it handled perfect...Loads of power when you need it and tippy enough to see the smallest bite at 150 yards...Great rod.

John
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

couple of questions

Postby Jon Moloney » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:43 pm

Drseafish, a few questions.

What make of reel seat did you fit and where did you buy it. also where did you get the reflective tape, can't sem to find any locally.

cheers
J
Jon Moloney

Re: couple of questions

Postby johnhig » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:56 pm

On mine I have casters(or what ever there called...) am fitting a couple of fuji seats, one high one low.... the reflective tape I got mine in Southside Angling...it's on the bottom left of the racks right beside the freezer...LAst time I looked..If not I have some spare at home...stuff I have works for me and reflects really well...

John
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Jon Moloney » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:37 pm

thanks John, I won't get into town for a couple o weeks. Actually where exactly is Southside Angling.

Cheers
J
Jon Moloney

Postby johnhig » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:01 pm

Jon Moloney wrote:thanks John, I won't get into town for a couple o weeks. Actually where exactly is Southside Angling.

Cheers
J

Lower clanbrassil(spelling) street....just down from Patricks Cathedral...
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Hi Jon

Postby drseafish » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:24 pm

Jon,

I brought a penn adjustable reel seat and find it perfect. Some people didn't like them as they felt that they were too big/bulky and found difficulty getting there hands around them. I don't have big hands and never found this a problem. It may be that they come in different sizes and as the pz match is quite narrow it doesn't make a difference. I got the rod from Gerrys in the UK and the reel seat from Veals in the UK.
drseafish
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Jon Moloney » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:30 pm

thanks drseafish,
I have an abu with an adjustable seat and I like it, can't stand coasters.
I want the new seat for a tip tornado, it's very narrow too, what size seat did you get?

cheers
Jon
Jon Moloney

Postby IDPearl » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:37 pm

If you are looking for a small, neat, not bulky reel seat, go for the Fuji DPS reel seat. I got mine from veals. All you need is the diameter of the butt and off you go. On the Veals site, they are described as "Fuji Screw Winch Fitting".
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!

Postby Jon Moloney » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:11 pm

Is it easily movable, or is it the kind of thing you look down and leave?
Jon Moloney

Postby m.b3 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:26 pm

find where u want it and lock it down. there are different ways of doing this. Ian is right about the fuji screw winch fitting, it's a nice fit and isn't bulky (like my ones!). coasters are rubbish (i'll be killed for saying this)- one more thing that can go wrong and at a silly price.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Moveable Reel Seats

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:35 pm

Henry's Tackle Shop have a good supply of these in at present, they are made by ABU (not the Grip Lock, just the standard moveable ones). They are €16 euro each, and if you bring in your rod butt they will fit one for you. Going to pop in on Saturday and get one myself.
Steve O'Hanlon

Postby m.b3 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:50 pm

the ones Steve mentioned are what i have myself. do the job fine but i do think they are a little bulky by comparison to the fuji screw whinch. the plus is that they are easier to fix solidly to the rod butt.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

reel seat

Postby drseafish » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:36 pm

Sorry I don't remember the exact size, I told veals the rod type and they just sent it on and it was a prefect fit. The tape for the rod tip I also got mail order and is brilliant I covered the top between third eye up and it shines like a beacon. I think its actually better than most of the paint jobs. I also agree that coasters are crap, its too easy to let your grip slip in the wet. I am not familiar with the fuji or abu grips but I would suggest to anyone that you should get adjustable ones for two reasons. When I started fishing I used a fixed spool rod and reel and over time I begum off the ground casting and had a terrible time and thought it was just not for me. However eventually I upgraded and went for a muliplier rod and reel set and when I was able to adjust the reel to the right position for me it made casting much easier. That old fixed spool set up had the reel just to far up the rod and I couldn't bring the butt back at the end of the cast as it was too long. Therefore the position of the reel seat is vital and it takes a few casts to find the exact spot suitable for you. Despite what some manufacturers think we all don't have the same length arms. The other reason for an adjustable seat is that, you may decide to want to fish with the reel down the butt at some point in the future and you don't want to have to try and remove a fixed reel seat.
drseafish
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers