SL20SH

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

SL20SH

Postby IDPearl » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:37 am

I'm using a Daiwa SL20SH as my first multiplier. I am delighted with it. It seems to cast well with the red blocks and so far, I have had only minor birds nests - and that was because I wasn't paying attention to the lead hitting the water! The retrieve is fast, so it keeps me clear of the rocks!! I am looking for another multiplier though and would like to try a 525 to compare.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby SeanP » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:28 pm

I am using this reel for boat fishing (uptide casting) it took me a while to get used to it as I use braid with it it (allbeit a few yards shorter now!), I was thinking of trying it on a beachcaster, how far would you fill the spool? does that affect the drag effect when casting? and is the lubrication important? .Huh nearly lost the reel & rod one day, a few of us in the boat and forgot to wind my rod in, set off to find another spot - off she went straight over the back, luckily the rod floated :oops: , a few months later I had to fit a new bearing, apart from that its been a great reel.

Thanks, Sean
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby IDPearl » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:32 pm

I took out the bearings, cleaned them in petrol, dried them on kitchen towel and then soaked them in red rocket fuel. Fill the spool to about 2 or 3mm shy of the spool edge and it runs smooth as. I'm using Alan Yates 20lb which is around 0.35mm and is a dream to cast with. Slam the thumb down as the lead hits the water though! I actually find it easier to cast with than the Penn 525 Mag. If I set the Mag to 5 or 6 it seems too slow. If I set it to 4 it seems to run a little too fast and fluffs up. Maybe it's just how I have it set up though.

Check out http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/reel_tuning.html for a better description of tuning.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby SeanP » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:19 pm

:D Many thanks for your help there, just what i needed, i like the bit 'Filled to the lip with 15lb line an SL20 is a crack-off waiting to happen'
thats just what i had, not good with braid! you can imagine the words
Better take a spool when i start,

Cheers, Sean
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers