Veals

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Veals

Postby IDPearl » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:21 am

I've been trying to use the local tackle shops, but am tired of getting ripped off. I've been looking for a second hand Daiwa SL20SH ro Penn 525 Mag, but the local shops want the same, if not more, than a brand new one costs in the UK. Even with the postage, Veals is so much cheaper!

http://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Veals

Postby drseafish » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:14 pm

Have to agree the mail order companies especially Veals are excellent. Its not only the value for money but the quality of the service. However my only grip with mail order companies is that you cannot test the gear before buying. I would love to have a trial with a rod before buying as its a big risk forking out over 200 euro based on mag reviews etc.. So in some if you have good local tackle shop its also worth not forgetting such things.
drseafish
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby kieran » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:15 pm

Yep

Have to agree with DrSea.

I bought a Penn Vendetta 12.6 foot beachcaster and it is a fine rod with decent backbone but a very soft tip and whilst it might well show a 200 gram dab twitching on a size 4 hook, ahem, if its a windy day here in the west of Ireland (and you know how few of them we get . :wink: ) then the damn thing bounced around like a demon. I have lost count of the number of flounder I have pulled in that I never saw or sensed and if it were not for the big hooks (2/0s) they would have been guaranteed hooked in the gut.

Another option is to join your local SAC and talk to the members about their kit. Chances are you can test cast with them on a beach somewhere and you could well pick up a nice rod and reel second hand for a fraction of their cost new, and no exchange rate and no P&P to worry about...

FWIW...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Read » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:14 am

[url]http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=960[/url] . Not all suppliers are ripping off anglers.
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

Declan
Read
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Donagh » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:33 pm

The important thing is to show a quote from the mail order firms to an Irish tackle dealer and let them know you'll go else where. Most of the tackle shops near me mainly fish coarse and game so their rod and reel advise wasn't great. Veals give good advise and are decent to deal with but if you buy local its easier if something goes wrong.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

veals...

Postby squirrel~ » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:07 am

used the mail order for the first time last week, ordered on the monday and parcel delivered to the west of ireland on wed, hows that for service.
top notch......
squirrel~

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers