Titan waterproof/windproof Smock

Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Hi Chaps.
I just bought a 2nd hand -Titan Smock - Windproof/Waterproof for £39.00
Can anyone give me any feedback on this Smock :?:
Should i send it back - or keep it :idea:

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:52 pm

Brilliant piece of kit, you will not be cold in it at all. 8) If you want to send it back go ahead. Tell me when and were you bought it because at that price second hand or not it's a real steal I wouldn't mind getting it for myself :twisted: Only joking as I said Eddie a real cracking piece of kit :wink:

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:23 am

For the price you paid, it sounds a good enough deal, but beware...
Windproof, no problem...waterproof, another matter! water gets in the seam around the neck, that is the one place that needs to be taped and Titan stopped doing that years ago. The very first jackets were waterproofed at all the seams, but not now. stupid not to tape the one seam that will let more water in than any other on the whole jacket.

Tom.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:24 pm

encountered the same problem on the titan storm jacket (not smock style). the rest of the coat is ok, just the neck and shoulders.
i wonder if waterproofing it again with the likes of fabseal or something would do it any good?

Titan smock

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi Lads.
The smock arrived today, And i am very please with condition of it (like brand new)
I suspect that the seller has washed it in his washing machine because it smells of washing powder.
But the label inside the smock says that it can be machine washed but not spun dried.
Checked the seams around the neck/shoulders and they seem okay.
tight stitched and there seems to be plenty of overlapping material underneath.
But i was wondering, If it has been machine washed, Is the waterproofing affected?
Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) waterproofing spray. Bigphil has mentioned fabseal (welcome advice)
Last edited by kissafish on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Phil,

When that jacket was first made ALL of the seams were taped...it takes a little time and some skill. the hardest seam to tape is the neck seam, with it being curved all around, but it can be done. from the week Titan changed hands that seam has never been taped (waste of time he said) well everyone who ever mentions Titan clothing to me, brings that problem and askes the question why! thats the asnwer.

as far as doing it after....it may hold for a short while, but it would come off eventualy, plus it wouldnt be 100% waterproof in the needle holes of the seam, that why it needs doing from the inside.

Tom.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:34 pm

cheers for that tom, well i suppose that if it was sprayed regularly with a waterproofing spray around the areas of the seams at the neck and shoulders it may help keep some people drier!!!
i have also heard of leaking seams on their bib and brace bottoms too!
i suppose though that if you want something that is 100% waterproof you are best going for sailing wet gear or something!