what is the right wait for a spin rod

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:07 pm

Getting lost over what to go for someone said anything that throws 20-60grams will do for all sea spinning.

I was looking at a 9ft 20-60gr rod and looks fine but very thin at top would this do job for pollock and bass.

I should know being a fly man that rods with very slim blanks can take large fish as best trout 22lb and rod took it at ease.

Does the same apply to saltwater spin rods.

what wait would you all use

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:45 pm

I like to use a bass rod for sea spinning. A good one I have used is the GREYS BZE 3-5oz. It will land most things without much trouble. It might be slightly heavy for most plugs etc but with light braid eg 20lb and a spinner etc it can do some damage, especially as I've had pollock to 10lb+on it. Anything lighter might not have landed it.

I suppose you also need to see what sort of ground you are fishing over? Rough ground you are going to need some stopping power otherwise you will get broken up in the rocks, on a beach etc you can afford to pay the fish a bit more to tire it out.

Bass and Pollack spinning rods

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:14 pm

Personally, I would go for a rod of 11'; optimum casting weight of around 20-60g. I use a Shimano Beastmaster STC spin 300/330H. It's a six piece rod (11' or 10' depending on which sections are fitted). Optimum casting weights 20-50g). This one is an all-rounder for me: spinning for pike and spinning from the shore for pollack and bass. I also use it for float-fishing for wrasse as well as a bit of mackeral bashing. Combined with a Shimano Baitrunner 6000RE fixed spool and 12 -15lb line it goes everywhere with me.

It's probably not the ideal rod for what you want and you would probably be better off with a two-piece 11' spinning rod casting 20-60g. There is a range of Shimano Beastmaster 2 Piece spinning rods in 10' & 11' that may fit the bill for you. Large range of casting weights available. Good all-rounders.

I have heard the Mike Ladle 11' two piece 'Sure Spin' (casting 10-60g) is a cracker. Haven't seen one in action though.

Greys do a good range of spinning rods in the 10' and 11' range. With a whopper in the form of the Grey's Sea spin (3 piece, 11' and casting 28-80g). A bit pricey though but excellent quality as you would expect from Greys.

Ron Thompson do 4 piece travel bass rods, the 10ft rod casts 20-50g as well as 2 piece 'X-cite' bass spinning rods. I haven't heard any reports on them so far.

A fairly recent manufacturer in the UK/Irish market is Grauvell. I seen a range of their rods in action in Spain and they are first class. I saw a Grauvell spinning rod of 10 or 11' in action off rocks in the North of Spain and it looked the business. I had a couple of casts with it and it was a beauty. Problem is I can't remember the name. Keep your eyes open for this make on the Irish Market.

Below are two links to bass fishing pages/sites that may be of help to you.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/lurefish ... bass.shtml

http://www.mikeladle.com/tackle/tackle06.html

Hope this helps.

All the best

Esox Lunatic

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:32 am

I use a Daiwa Super Shinobi. Newer version of the older Samurai S. Rated for 20-60grams but wouldn't chance any more than an ounce and a half on it as it is quite light. Find it perfect for Bass but a little light for big pollck, simply because trying to stop them on a big crash dive is quite difficult and it'd be nicer to have a bit of beef to just bully them. Still it handles pollack to 6lbs with ease and it's lots of fun :-)

The whole point for me is to catch big fish on light tackle so I don't ever want to go any heavier than this type of setup - it ruins the whole point in the first place imo

Liam

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:42 am

Liamo wrote:I use a Daiwa Super Shinobi.

Does anybody remember the video game???

i have a leeda quicksilver 11' in my posession, deadly for large pollack, good action, easily casts 2oz, perfectly matched with the abu 6500 mag elite. want to see how it handles large bass :D :D :D

Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:04 pm

oh ya i have them all on my pc .r-type kung-fu master dragon ninja wonder boy ghosts,n goblins golden axe happy days on the commodore 64 :D