Princeton Tec Apex

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:47 am

I bought a Princeton Tec Apex LED Headlamp last Autumn. The head light is made in the USA but is now available in the UK (Veals and other online retailers - just shop around for the best deal online)

The light has 4 ultrabright LEDs (2 on each side of larger LED), which are great for baiting up and wide angle, short distance illumination up to about 20m on high setting and 10m on low setting

The lamp also has a single 3 watt Maxbright LED which is incredibly bright and has an effective max range of about 50metres on high setting and about 30m on low output.

There is also a flashing light mode.

The head light uses 4 AA batteries (rechargeable >2000mA advised) and has regulated LED output which means that you get longer time at max light output instead of a steady decrease in output.

Burn times on a set of freshly charged 2300mA rechargeable NiMH batteries is in excess of 60hrs (mixed light use: 4 LED and 1 3W LED at max light outputsettings).

The light is very comfortable to wear and light. It is also waterproof to 1m. It comes with a 10yr international warranty

I think Veals are selling the light at around £60

It's expensive but I would thoroughly recommend it as I've used it all conditions and it has proved itself.

Steer clear of offers of multi-LED headlamps from Hong Kong for sakle on E-Bay: I have heard numerous reports that they are not up to scratch.

Esox Lunatic

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:42 am

Steer clear of offers of multi-LED headlamps from Hong Kong for sakle on E-Bay: I have heard numerous reports that they are not up to scratch.

I bought one of these on Ebay a month or two back for 1p + £5 p & p and I have to say, its great for the price. It was a 12 led model I bought and was delivered to ROI in 4 days which is a sight quicker than most UK suppliers! I dont do too much night fishing granted, but its more than adequate for what I need. A handy spare for someone all the same. On saying that, I would never have too much confidence in buying anything from HK, that was my first and only purchase from that part of the world. Ill check back the sellers name and post up though as his service was super.

Sellers name was newbiebabo.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:20 pm

Bought the same one Pete, does me for beach fishing alright but not sure if I'd be too confident using it from rocks at night when you really need to see exactly where you're going. Couldn't go wrong for 1p though!! post and packing was about that you'd pay for UK stuff too...