Boat Rod Opinions

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:55 pm

Ritheo looking for your views on the following rods for wrecking in less than 200ft.

20lb kali Kunnan blackbird

20lb-30lb shimano Beastmaster BX

I cant get my hands on these rods to get a feel for them myself, so for those of you that used them what ye think about the action, reel seat and versatility?

Re: Boat Rod Opinions

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:07 pm

I've not held either.
I've a few Kali Kunnan rods and find that they really punch above their weight in terms of quality. (As an aside their Mythic Forward is an incredible lure rod!)
I would prefer the 20lb class as it will cope with all but the heaviest wrecking needs.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:12 pm

Ya I think I will chance the kali and save a few pound in the process, rumoured to be the same blank as the kensazki.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:26 pm

The Kenzaki is a superb blank let down a little by the eyes and the eye spacing. Fabulously light and lovely to use. I still have a few!
I'd be interested in how the Kali works out.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi lads, I recently purchased a 7’ Penn 20-30lb inner, super slim blank, very light and bucket loads of power for lifting heavy fish. Only cost €99. I was a bit unsure about the line running through the blank but it performs so well that I’m considering getting a 12lb and 50lb class.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:51 pm

What species are after.

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:04 am

I got a pair of Icon MX - Boat Rod 20-30Lb 7'6' over the summer and have had tope to 40+ & Conger to 50+ no issue, on the lighter side for these fish but never struggled. Only 70e.

Ideal for Ray & Huss on the Shannon