Multipliers

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:53 pm

My old fixed spool reel is on its last legs but it doesnt owe me anything s I used it for years and then had a break for a load more years with no maintenance cos of the purchase of a boat but because of lockdown I found an old love of beach casting and want to do it from time to time. Im thinking of a casting multiplier either new or secondhand so any recommendations would be welcome.

Re: Multipliers

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:07 pm

Penn 525 are bullet proof. Great reel for hauling big fish.
Big drawback is getting used to it, can be a nightmare in the dark until you get the hang of it.

There are some top class fixed spool reels out there that are less of the hassle and can do the same job.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:00 pm

I was just trying to get a bit more distance but if there are fixed spool reels can you point me in the right direction. and many thanks so far.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 pm

For the same or similar price to the Penn 525 (or comparable multipliers) you may want to consider the Daiwa BG6500. These new generation fixed spool grinders are incredible, with super capacity spools especially now considering when spooled with say 25-30lbs braid, and certainly very strong drags that would withstand almost any fish found in Irish waters. I'm you ever had plans to go fish somewhere more tropical for genuine gamefish, then you could up your budget to the Daiwa Saltiga series, but that's serious firepower (and euros to boot). The multipliers are awesome, but as per earlier guidance, still come with the hassle of having to line-brake your cast to minimise risks of overwind, especially when fishing in windy and/or dark conditions. The new generation grinders, and high composite carbon rods equipped with bionic finger casting trigger/aid, make the fixed spool option a significantly "easier" and less hassle option to consider. A BG6500 will comfortable take more than 300m 30lbs braid, which should be more than adequate in these waters.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:11 pm

Thanks, but it sounds as if I will be having to fix too many tangles in a multiplier so Ill have a look at those fixed spools.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:52 am

I was always a multi man but changed over to a fixed spool 3-4 years ago. The multi is not the greatest for flicking out baits while scrounging around for small fish in the surf especially when you have it setup to go the distance.
Splashed out the money and went for a pair of these https://www.henrystackleshop.com/fixed- ... 0-xsd.html . Loaded up with good quality 30lb braid and shock leader I had no problem getting the same distance. you will have put some backing on the spool first to make sure that the braid is out almost to the rim of the spool.

More distance could be down to your casting style/technique rather than the gear you are using. I've seen lads with the best of gear and not been able to cast further than 100mt.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:20 am

(Splashed out the money and went for a pair of these
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y8qBdLpKapA

If you follow ASFN fishing there are currently a number of daily updates on the Sardine Run 2020 on the Natal south coast in South Africa. Take note of the high number of each anglers - either casting or droning out baits, using Fixed Spool reels to anchor and consistently land very large Grey, Blackfin and Bronze Whaler sharks, many over 250 kgs - yes Kilograms.

Proper stuff. Either your back or arms will give in or your line will part somewhere in your terminal tackle before these new generation fixed spools pop.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:15 pm

Akios Airloop R8 / R10
Shimano 1400 XTD

Approx 150 eur per model will do all you want or need of them,

Second hand Abu and Penn reels come up for sale all the time 50-70 euro so don't rule that out either to get you going.Any local tackle shop can show you current models too.

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:36 pm

multipliers wont always get you (more distance) unless you can use them to there full advantage a decent shimano fixed spool with proper line and a tapered shock will put you on the right path

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:01 pm

Going to get the Shimano fixed spool so thanks a lot to you all for your help.