Switch to full style
At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!
Post a reply

Mitchell Avocet RZ 8000

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:34 am

Seen an offer on fishingmegastore.com for Mitchell Avocet RZ 8000 at £35 and thought I’d take a punt on it, £5 postage, delivered by UPS.
Arrived and unboxed, a few plastic pieces, but the moving parts all look reasonably good quality.
Pulled it apart to check it out internally, not a bad quality for the price point, and the drag seems smooth enough, I feel it will hold up ok and I’ll get good use out of it.
Aluminium Spool with good capacity 0.45/230m, 5 Bearings, 4:1 Ratio, nearly 80cm per turn, and light enough at 560g.
Will hopefully get out soon enough and give it a go on the second rod, and report back how it holds up.

Re: Mitchell Avocet RZ 8000

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:36 am

Photo didn’t load when I posted.

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Beach reel? And have you managed to try it out yet?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:15 pm

Rod Tips wrote:Beach reel? And have you managed to try it out yet?

Yes, beach reel, but the spool is a bit deep, so I will have to fill it with backing and get the spool fully filled for making distance. Haven’t got out to try it yet.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 pm

I thinks that's the same reel as the Penn Surfblaster. I have a surfblaster and find it a very good beach reel so you should have no problems.Excellent value for money at 35.00 pounds.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:07 pm

The edge of the spool at the line clip is like a razor blade, it cut through the braid as I was pulling down the knot and about to start spooling. A light rub with a file fixed the problem. Used on a 13’ rod over clean beach, It casts well enough and the retrieve is good. I would be dubious about using it over rough ground.
Post a reply