HuntHouse"Minnow" on AliExpress

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

HuntHouse"Minnow" on AliExpress

Postby shortcircuit » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:46 pm

As I like trying out the lucky bag that is AliExpress, I got a few copies of a very well known soft plastic lure. They arrived today surprisingly fast: 18 days from order. Normally Aliexpress gear takes at least a month to arrive and normally 6 weeks.

The people making these have done a good job reverse engineering the original. The quality of the rubber is absolutely spot-on perfect- it is that really soft flexible stuff that gives the original its great action. The jig head seems very well made and a good quality weedless hook was used. This particular seller is offering the lure in 90mm length with either a 12g or 25g jig head.

20190122_142338.jpg

They are giving the lure in the original khaki and blue colours and also a few others. I got one with a white body that I'm looking forward to trying.
You can see the body doesn't sit 100% flush with the jig head, but if it really bothers you (and I doubt it will bother the fish) you could put a dab of superglue on the jig head to secure the body.

I'm sure if you do a bit of digging you will be able to find different variants with the larger jig head or bodies.
It can be difficult because the sellers are deliberately vague with the descriptions and photos to avoid being shut down, I suspect.

Looks very good for the money - a body mounted on a jig head with a weedless hook, plus a spare body is about €4.

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks: 4
chuckaroo (Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 pm), corbyeire (Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:40 pm), kieran (Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:30 am), nicefish (Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:29 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: HuntHouse"Minnow" on AliExpress

Postby JimC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:42 am

Does yours have the hook attachment like this? There's a fair gape there. Probably would want to give the bend a squeeze once the hook is on.
Attachments
hunthouse.JPG
hunthouse.JPG (18.34 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 am

JimC wrote:Does yours have the hook attachment like this? There's a fair gape there. Probably would want to give the bend a squeeze once the hook is on.

The hook attachment seems to be done in a similar way to the original:

20190125_102353-1.jpg

In the one that you showed is there a chance of the hook becoming detached from the head ?
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby JimC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:22 pm

You should be OK. The one you got is a pure copy. I'd say the other one in the picture is just for show!!
As you say, the quality is very good. The bodies are certainly excellent.
It is rare to lose a hook from the original. I would treat the copy the same as the original and glue the body to the head.
JimC

Postby chuckaroo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:16 pm

shortcircuit wrote:The hook attachment seems to be done in a similar way to the original:

20190125_102353-1.jpg

In the one that you showed is there a chance of the hook becoming detached from the head ?

Well there certainly is a chance of the hook becoming detached from the head of the original (pictured), as it happened to me three times on good pollack
The fact that fiiish have designed a head that even remotely offers the chance of the hook becoming detached is beyond belief
The tail (rubber body) kept coming off too
Will never buy another one again
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46275&p=358872&hilit=fiiish#p358872
Last edited by chuckaroo on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby JimC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:29 pm

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46275&p=358872&hilit=fiiish#p358872

Jaysus Charlie, hard to believe that post is from 2014 :shock:
I've been using the BM for years and I reckon once ever did the hook come off on me. I happened when I lifted a bass from the water using the lure head. The bass jerked and managed to work the hook free. It was a small fish and it bounced off the sponson of my little RIB and managed to puncture it. :evil:

It has always been the recommendation to glue the head to the body. I would say it was a necessity.
JimC

Postby chuckaroo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:42 pm

Yeah, think you said the same thing the last time this topic was discussed Jim - that it needs glued
I’ve a simpler solution, don’t buy it. lol
I remember winning that lure in a wee comp, I was well chuffed with it. When I saw the hook attachment set-up I was surprised, I couldn’t see how it could be secure. When I lost those fish I thought that maybe I have attached it incorrectly but I hadn’t . It’s a great looking lure but there are many that will catch just as many fish, and that won’t threaten to detach..
2014? Feels like yesterday you mean?
Certainly feels like yesterday to me :)
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Surfcaster » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:02 am

Hi, they are very good for the money, the action is great, only the tail end is transparant. But that probably does not matter?
Surfcaster
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Chelon Labrosus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:35 am

Dont post too often but have landed 60+bass on the same BFM head&hook(gone through several bodies mind you) and have never had issues with hook detatchment.... For the record, if i didnt have bad luck, i'd have no luck at all! The most versatile lure in my bag.

For this message the author Chelon Labrosus has received thanks:
kieran (Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:32 am)
Chelon Labrosus
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers