Switch to full style
At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!
Post a reply

Sole from the shore? Anywhere on this Island.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there are any possibities of shore caught sole from any of the beaches or rock marks around the country? Or if anyone has targeted or caught sole in recent times?

Thanks in advance,

Tight lines

Rod Tips

Re: Sole from the shore? Anywhere on this Island.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 am

I've been told you need to use very small hooks, sheltered bays, shallow areas, might show up when looking for flounder. Ragworm (maddies) bets bait?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 pm

I know a guy who got a sole of almost 2lb in the Summer from a mark in Cork.
Admittedly he was spearfishing..

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:34 pm

There's a mark on the Shannon, they are there but I am yet to try it as flattie fishing is not my strong point

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:32 pm

i know of 2 separate occasions where they were caught in sligo two years ago - absolut tidlers - rod and line on tiny hooks
in galway they have shown up in push nets in the shallows
i think there may have been 1 reported in mayo a few years ago
basically if they were anywhere in numbers - they would have been reported while lads are scracthing for tiny flounders or lrf species

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:03 pm

We have caught them in Donegal.. ragworm on size 4 or 6 hooks

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:24 pm

kieran wrote:I've been told you need to use very small hooks, sheltered bays, shallow areas, might show up when looking for flounder. Ragworm (maddies) bets bait?

Thanks Kieran, I've got the hook size right and my rigs ready, thanks for the additional information,
Cheers

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:16 pm

rushnaldo wrote:We have caught them in Donegal.. ragworm on size 4 or 6 hooks

Thanks rushnaldo, I've got some size 8's just in case, much appreciated

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:18 pm

partylikeits1969 wrote:I know a guy who got a sole of almost 2lb in the Summer from a mark in Cork.
Admittedly he was spearfishing..

Thanks partylikeits1969
Good to know

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:21 pm

gearoid mc s. wrote:There's a mark on the Shannon, they are there but I am yet to try it as flattie fishing is not my strong point

Thanks gearoid
I will put that info in my journal, keep it for when I get the opportunity to fish there, ( soon )

Much obliged

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 pm

corbyeire wrote:i know of 2 separate occasions where they were caught in sligo two years ago - absolut tidlers - rod and line on tiny hooks
in galway they have shown up in push nets in the shallows
i think there may have been 1 reported in mayo a few years ago
basically if they were anywhere in numbers - they would have been reported while lads are scracthing for tiny flounders or lrf species

Thanks corbyeire much appreciated. I've never seen a very big one, not even in a restaurant. I've never caught one, even though I targeted them before, I had no real knowledge of any marks or any reports either, but I would imagine the bites are gentle like a breeze.? There's no real muscle on them and the mouth is tiny. I would just love to catch one for the experience.

Go raibh maith agat
Post a reply