Switch to full style
At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!
Post a reply

Re: Old Gear that you think is great

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi everyone. One of my old favorites is an 8o's vintage Zziplex Ng1. It's a high reel classic pendulum rod. short rod by modern standards and better for it imo. still casts well and has amazing bite detection. Rebuilt once.The one I will never part with.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:32 pm

This post takes me back.
The Shimano Speedmaster was horrific to cast but what a reel to fish close in into the kelp or in the boat. I dropped mine out of my rucksack onto the floor one day and that was the end of it. Nearly cried!
I still use two old abu rods I got in the 80s: an 8ft abu atlantic 483 spinning rod that some might remember as they had the forward angled eyes like the famous 484 beachcaster and an ABU Atlantic 11FT Bass rod. Both have completely different actions to modern rods but cast and fish so well.
Best purchase ever however was Conoflex Oblivion totally triptonic. It's about 25 years old now and I can see absolutely no reason to buy another med/heavy beach rod any time soon.

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm

My favourite rod which I still have and use is an aged Greys Orion haven't found anything that feels the same so I'm going to have it rebuild as it's a bit tatty and hope for many more years of use

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Still my fav Rod has to be my Diawa Paul Kerry Supercast,powerful and brilliant bite detection.Better than a lot of my modern rods.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Just flicking through these posts and saw the abu Atlantic rods mentioned.
I'm still using an Atlantic 10ft that's had many eye changes so its 9ft 6 now. That and a cardinal 5 with a broken bail arm is the set up I catch most with. I also use a diawa moonraker 12ft with an ambassador 6500 on it. A lot more distance with that but it's never as busy as the old abu. Think I have them about 38 years now.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:21 pm

I have been in and out of hospital for the last few years and have just seen these replies on old fishing gear which has made dig up my old Paul Kerry rod and yes it is a powerful rod a shame I have not brought it back into use especially with all this recycling thing going on anyway it is my next rod to upgrade new rings reel holder and anything else that might be needed what a way to get back into fishing other than to restore some old stuff ?
mickser

Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Might see you out and about over the season

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:55 pm

mickser wrote:I have been in and out of hospital for the last few years and have just seen these replies on old fishing gear which has made dig up my old Paul Kerry rod and yes it is a powerful rod a shame I have not brought it back into use especially with all this recycling thing going on anyway it is my next rod to upgrade new rings reel holder and anything else that might be needed what a way to get back into fishing other than to restore some old stuff ?
mickser

I actually came across a used Paul Kerry 12ft beachcaster for cheap paired with a shimano fixed spool online. Would you consider it a worthwhile purchase?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm

Yes well worth having both of them if cheap enough The paul Kerry rod is one which I casted 183 yds with up in wicklow casting range

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:17 pm

mickser wrote:Yes well worth having both of them if cheap enough The paul Kerry rod is one which I casted 183 yds with up in wicklow casting range

45gbp for both the Paul Kerry and the Shimano! Just waiting for the seller to respond...

Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:26 pm

mickser wrote:I have been in and out of hospital for the last few years and have just seen these replies on old fishing gear which has made dig up my old Paul Kerry rod and yes it is a powerful rod a shame I have not brought it back into use especially with all this recycling thing going on anyway it is my next rod to upgrade new rings reel holder and anything else that might be needed what a way to get back into fishing other than to restore some old stuff ?
mickser

Honestly Mickser, its like reading my bio lol. Everything as you say it has/is happening with me including the PKPB :D :D . I hope you got out and enjoyed the rod.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:14 pm

My original 525 and my hsm even I couldn't break em lol

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:45 am

The 1st Zziplex primo full touraments my go to rods
Post a reply