Switch to full style
At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!
Post a reply

Waterproofs

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:38 pm

Looking at getting a new waterproof top around €70-100. Just looking for peoples opinions on jackets vs smocks and peoples experience with gear that actually stays waterproof. Not too bothered on winter specific gear as I would like to be able to wear it in the summer as well. Any opinions and suggestions welcome

Re: Waterproofs

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03 pm

Grundens Neptune jacket costs 70 and has pockets and guaranteed to keep you dry. It's commercial fishermen gear

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:09 pm

Must take a look

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:45 am

I use my Patagonia chest waders, which I use for Fly Fishing and the Patagonia 100% waterproof breathable wading jacket to suit, when it aint raining i take off the jacket, comfy, reliable and works for me. I have a pair of SIMMS wading boots with studs on, job done

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I too have Patagonia waders and a Patagonia SST jacket also matched with Simms boots.....

However the OP asked for a waterproof jacket for €70-100 not something that is going to cost over €1000!!!

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Crevan wrote:I too have Patagonia waders and a Patagonia SST jacket also matched with Simms boots.....

However the OP asked for a waterproof jacket for €70-100 not something that is going to cost over €1000!!!

TRUE, forgive me... I always seem to read-over things especially this time of the year..

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Ya waders arent an issue just looking at jackets and smocks. Some of the vass gear looks nice but ive heard that its hard to dry once wet due to it being a material type of outer layer. Id say talking to a few lads that the commercial / trawler type jacket might be my best bet and they will take some abuse.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:02 pm

corkconian wrote:Ya waders arent an issue just looking at jackets and smocks. Some of the vass gear looks nice but ive heard that its hard to dry once wet due to it being a material type of outer layer. Id say talking to a few lads that the commercial / trawler type jacket might be my best bet and they will take some abuse.

The vass smocks are similar to the old oil skins so it dryes pretty fast.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:54 pm

ShaneH wrote:
corkconian wrote:Ya waders arent an issue just looking at jackets and smocks. Some of the vass gear looks nice but ive heard that its hard to dry once wet due to it being a material type of outer layer. Id say talking to a few lads that the commercial / trawler type jacket might be my best bet and they will take some abuse.

The vass smocks are similar to the old oil skins so it dryes pretty fast.

Good to know .

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Have a look at these, fantastic for the money if you simply want a waterproof that's durable., Cheap light and goes in the washing machine, best of all Irish owned!!!

http://www.climb8.ie/index.php?main_pag ... ucts_id=10

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:42 pm

kstaff wrote:Have a look at these, fantastic for the money if you simply want a waterproof that's durable., Cheap light and goes in the washing machine, best of all Irish owned!!!

http://www.climb8.ie/index.php?main_pag ... ucts_id=10

They look the right job, Front pocket is good to have too.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:59 pm

cant recommend climb8 enough

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Yep! Climb8 make superb gear. I use the breathable waders and the Lough Conn jacket - Brilliant from the boat!
Post a reply