Maxima "Clear" mono line

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Maxima "Clear" mono line

Postby blowin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 pm

When buying line I normally take note of the breaking strain expressed in lb and disregard the number in kg.
I've been tying traces in what I thought was 30 lb which is just a bit below the strength of my mainline. Have just noticed that the label on the reel which states 30 lb also states 16 kg .
16 kg is over thirty five pounds ! That is enough of a difference to make the traces too strong for my other gear. That means I may have wasted a lot of time and line due to a labelling error or , at the least , will have to mess about testing the breaking strain myself.

The distributor's name on the label is Dennet Outdoor Ltd. I have written to them asking whether they have made this error on other products . I will try to remember to post their reply on here , assuming that I get one .
Meanwhile you might want to check whether any Maxima you are using is what you think it is.
Just thought I'd mention that.
Good luck
blowin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 29 times

Re: Maxima "Clear" mono line

Postby red » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Ive got 10lb and 12lb mono on my main 2 reels and if I'm fishing for anything but flats I use 20lb up to 40lb snoods depending on conditions.
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Re: Maxima "Clear" mono line

Postby DavidLynch » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:25 pm

to be quite honest I don't think its going to make a great deal of difference to your traces as long as your not power casting .
DavidLynch
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers