six shooter reel any ideas

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:20 pm

Hi still looking a jerkbait reel for my wee rod.

Took all advice and looked at loads.

Does anyone use the low profile reels, read a few good write ups about john wilsons six shooter reel .

would this be any good for saltwater as all material is about pike.
it gets used for plugs after pike so just woundering would it do same for plugs for pollock ,bass

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:33 pm

ive been using an abu 5000 for the last 3 seasons on mine. i know it has no bearings but ive neaver had a problem. have had pollock to 11.8lbs and cod to 10 lbs on it with no problems out in the boat. can get 60 or 70 yard cast with ali magnum lures on it.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:49 pm

Lumpy,

I have a pair of 5000, mine came with bushings instead of bearings in the spool too. The 6500 size bearings from your "standard" abu multiplier fit perfectly. Same internal spool diameter, just narrower. Makes a beautifuul job of 'em.

Liam

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:58 pm

cheers for that liam. there straight forward enough to replace are they. started using it for light bass work with the carp rod recently. perfect together. the only thing is that its one of the origionals from about 25 years ago. was given to me by an old friend of mine. do you know if this makes a difference

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:38 pm

Lumpy,

Couldn't tell you lad, wouldn't have a clue. After I bought the first one I was disgusted to discover it ran on those horrible brass bushings so started tinkering and discovered the 6500 bearings were a perfect fit. Try it, you'll love the difference it makes

Liam

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:42 pm

may try that this weekend. cheers lad

six-shooter

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:52 pm

changing the bushels for bearins is not that easy,the reel youre
talking about the john- wilson six-shooter, is perfect for the job
team it up with braid, and casts well in excess of 100 yards are
easily possible, plus you can aquire a left or right wind model.