Penn 535GS

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:45 pm

Never having bought a brand new multiplier or being a big user of them (love my FS's), i bought one. 535GS. Any good/bad experiences? Anything I should look out for, with them?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 pm

use anything over 18lb line on it, with 15 they can be a bit too racy!!
have the 535mag and it cast beautifully loaded with 30lb straight from the box. great rough ground reels.
im normally a fixed spool man myself and used a penn spinfisher 8500ss for the rough stuff but this reel also does a brilliant job with fast retrieve for a multiplier although retrieve is still faster with the fixed spool.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:31 pm

Hi Wes,
Just being nosy, why did you buy a 535 rather than the standard 525, do you fish over dirty ground. I was at one stage thinking of getting one but went off the idea as I fish mostly clean stuff. Good luck with it anyway.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:55 pm

as phil said good winch but bit racy have one wth straight 30lb on it, had to put heavy gear oil in bearings to slow down.
rab

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:01 pm

shouldnt be racy at all with 30lb line rab??
did you try adjusting the float on the spool before putting heavy oil in the bearings?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:16 am

€70 quid at the exhibition, Pat. Knew it was a decent price and all of the 525's had shifted early on, so i understand.
Not so much dirty ground, but snagging possibility is endless. Howth would be the main hunting ground, some marks offer clean fishing, others dont. Greystones and to a lesser extent Donabate/Portrane would be my 'try somewhere else for a day', kind of places.
Seems to be a solid reel alright. Appreciate the info lads :wink:

CONVERSION???

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:36 pm

Lads, I'm hearing that the 535GS can be converted to a 535Mag. Not that I'd want to, but how can this be achieved?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Similar to these WES

[url]http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=4815[/url]

conversion

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:44 pm

Hi Wes

There is an interesting thread on Avet reels recently and I think this discussed using rare earth mags to produce a casting reel. If not it was on http://www.stripersonline.com - superb forums for anything in lure fishing although they're not very accommodating to dunderheads like me asking doh! basic questions!

I have a 535 knobby and its fine for rough ground fishing. My casting technique leave a lot to be desired but over rough ground you generally don't have to hit the horizon. I started with 30 lb mono and that was fine but I have since moved to 30 lb braid (I know rough ground and braid, am I mad!) but knowledge of the marks allows you fish intelligently and the braid certainly added another 20 metres to my miserable casts...

What I would also suggest is that you heavily load it so that the line you will be casting is lying just short of the spool rim - and its a big capacity reel so you might want to leave 100-200 metres of old line on it before you start to attach your "fishing" main line...

A mate (16 st lunker) stood on the handle and I just bent it back with a lump hammer when I got home - that's why you buy Penns!

FWIW...

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:45 am

yeah phil end float set spot on,but with red rocket fuel in bearings i had to tighten the end float too much which is only destroying the bearings prematurely , but with heavy gear oil in i can have the end float touching lightly and no over runs, maybe i bought a ferrari 535

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:59 pm

could have been rab!!
are there any brakes in it at all???! :lol: :wink: :lol:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:00 pm

ps.....cracking price on the penn 535!!! :shock:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:22 pm

do not repeat do not, tighten the end float this has nothing to do with the reel being fast mate.you will damage the spindle and the bearings and the reel will be usless to anyone.go with heavy oil and large brake blocks and dont overfill the reel mate.if you cant get it sorted contact me again.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:25 pm

yep, dont put it dead tight, i slacken mine a bit to give a bit of float with the spool.
thought it should have been ok with the red rocket oil though? :?

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:31 pm

DONT TIGHTEN IT AT ALL,all reels are not the same mate,30/50 oil or heavier if needs be ,and large brake blocks ,as i said if you have any more problems contact me.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:42 pm

ah rite, so i take it all reels come set at a point that is as tight as it should go?
and should only be slackened if required to give more float?
im not greatly into tuning and setting of multipliers myself, i just adjust whatever bits i see i until i get the reel running at a suitable speed for me! :lol: which aint too fast!!
ive moved that wee knob on my 525's and that and they are all still running ok?

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 pm

spot on beachcaster penn 525 + 535 end float doesn;t work like an abu or 7ht

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Good info lads, cheers! :D