Luggage

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:07 pm

Wanting to buy a extremly large bag asap to keep all my gear in....will be doing long trips over hills and down the other side in the spring and summer months...so dont really want to be carring a bulky seatbox...Can anyone suggest a bag/rucksack sort of thingy to make hiking a little easier...please bare in mind im looking to transfer all the contents from my seatbox to whatever i decide to purchase. help would be greatly appreciated

Stephen

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:32 pm

Boogaloo,s land rover :lol:

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:33 pm

HC,

Send me a PM and I will send you some pictures of the very bag your looking for :)

Tom.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:34 pm

HC,

Send me a PM and I will send you some pictures of the very bag your looking for :)

Tom.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:06 am

hairy,

as a suggestion, have look in the Argos catalogue, I noticed some good fishing ruck sacks in there the other night.

GG

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:22 pm

id recommend any of the mustad ones, for the price they seem to do the job well, ive had one over a year now with no problems and several guys in the club have now went for them as well, they do hold everything and more than a shakespeare beta box.
other ones worth a look maybe imax , greys, titan etc.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Why not get a breakaway seat box conversion which allows the box to be carried on your back, that way you still have your seat when you go to fish.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:57 pm

they can still be a pain on the lower back over a long walk, a rucksack is much more comfortable, and dont break or split if you are unfortunate enough to drop it or fall with it on!!seen it happen before with a seat box.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:05 am

these are long walks sometimes an hour before you get to the pots deffo has to be a bag...thground is also full of potholes from sheep etc which is burries in heavy grass...the thought of falling with a seatbox strapped to the back is something i dont want to expierence

Rucksacks for fishing

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:28 pm

I think it's a question of horses for courses. I have gone down the route of strapping a seat box to my back and ending up with a busted leg after jamming foot and ankle in a crevice after fishing for pollack. The weight of the seat box was poorly distributed and I was caught off balance. I now have brought two rucksacks out of retirement that were used for hiking and walking in the mountains. They are much better for yomping long distances and carrying over uneven ground and a lot more comfortable. I still use the seat box 'on the flat'.

I use the smaller rucksack when clambering down rock faces and over rocks to spin for pollack. Travelling light and well-balanced with a comfortable rucksack is the key here.

I use a larger rucksack for less hazardous angling off rocks on the relative flat and when I'm using beachcasters and baits off rocks.

Things to look for in a rucksack:

Pockets to distribute your gear. Stick to a routine with stowing gear in the same pockets each trip and it will make life easier (especially in poor light or bad weather).

Good heavy duty, padded and easily adjustable shoulder straps. A waist/hip strap to distribute the load evenly. On larger rucksacks a padded hip strap makes such a difference.

Good padding and a 'breatheable' zone where your back meets the rucksack. This can make life a lot more comfortable.

Good heavy duty 'cordura' type rucksack fabric will last a long time and a survive a lot of punishment. A waterproof or water resistant base is a good feature to look for.

For less punishing environments a 'Fishing' rucksack like those from Mustad, Fox or Wychwood are fine. The Carp rucksack in the Argos catalogue appears to be OK, but you would need to have a look at the straps. Try it for size on the 16 day money back guarantee. Imax and prologic do heavy duty rucksacks for anglers. There's even a Max-4 camouflage version for the carp boys! (and girls).

Have a look around in outdooor pursuit shops and try the rucksacks on for size. You wouldn't buy a pair of boots without trying them on and a good fitting rucksack that suits your needs will be a worthwhile investment.