light gear suggestions, please

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

light gear suggestions, please

Postby bpmurray » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:43 am

A few weeks ago we were in Norway and switched to using spinning gear - great craic with big haddock, cod & coalfish. However, using "normal" spinning gear doesn't really hack it - for next year I want to be prepared, so I'm looking for suggestions. Specifically, I want the following:
  • A light rod, like a spinning rod but short enough to be comfortable on a boat, that's capable of handling a 30lb fish
  • A fixed spool reel which can take at least 300m of 30lb braid, preferably more
Of course, if these don't cost the earth, that's even better!

Just for reference, I was using a Shimano Beastmaster AX travel rod (5 sections) with a Shimano Aernos 4000 FA and they worked just fine. I'd just like a little more capacity on the reel, and to have a shorter rod.
Species 2022: Halibut, Coalfish, Cod, Haddock, Pollack, Whiting, Mackerel, Wolffish, Redfish, Torsk
bpmurray
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Re: light gear suggestions, please

Postby shortcircuit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Hmm tough question- I think what you need is a "jigging" rod- a rod that is light enough to hold all day long and work lures, but with enough beef to deal with relatively heavy jigs/lures and deal with decent sized fish.

I have a "custom" boat jigging rod- by custom I mean an 8 foot spinning rod that I fell on by accident and is now 7 and a half feet! It performs well using jigs up to 90g and I have had good pollock on it- but only 7-8lb nothing like what you are talking about.

As for the reel, I wouldn't really know.

I would think that JimC of this parish would have some good advice on this front.
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby Camcolite » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Shimano Rarenium FA 5000 will fit 300m of daiwa tournament 8 30lb just, with no backing. I have heard mono backing is good with braid because it stops the braid 'spinnig' on the spool, but I have had no problems so far, it might be differnt off the boat with big fish, something to consider.
Camcolite
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:30 pm

If those were my specs, I'd be taking a look at the Tenryu Bulldog.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Crevan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:43 am

What are you intending to fish for?

I use a Tenryu Supermix 240 for all my boat fishing. I've fished lures and jigs and caught pollock and cod up to double figures with it and it handled it easily.
Ive also had tope to 30lb+ on it.

Do you intend just fishing lures or is it for bait too?

If its for both my opinion would be perhaps an Abu Suveran? Its light and bute sensitive but has the power when needed. Patsy who I fish with has one that he used in Norway recently. He's well impressed with his. Id imagine that a big fixed spool would work on it.
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/abu-gar ... 21438.html

My knowledge of boat tackle may not be as good as some on hear so I'm open to correction.
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 78 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers