Your thoughts on the new Maxximus solid C rods

Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi folks, I was looking for your wealth of experience to help me decide whether to keep a 20-50 solid C rod or not.

I took advice from a company in England and bought 1 of the new Maxximus boat rods, apparently they were the dogs swingers and are supposed to be really good.

The rod has arrived and to be frank it doesn't look all that strong and it really doesn't instil a great deal on confidence for me, if I hook something with a bit of grunt will I be able to land it.

I'm new to boat fishing and any rods I have borrowed and used have all been more substancial to hold and fish with and this rod is more like a long pencil.

Your views would be greatfully received

Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:53 pm

NG,

If you have a problem I heard the company can be a nightmare to deal with.

If you have the solid carbon rod they offer, I've not used one, I have looked into them (solid rods that is) with two guys who are real experts on rod blanks and the word is that the solid blanks for boat type rods are as strong as they claim.

I would think you should not be put off if its a thin diameter. If it was me, I'd hook it up to the garden fence and try to either break the rod or break the fence :) I would be interested to find out if it has any real back-bone or if its just like the Ugly Sticks, unbreakable but useless to fish with :)

I know a few have payed on with the concept for years of solid carbon rods, for one reason or another they have never taken off.

Lets know how it goes :)

Tom.