Boat Rod for Tope

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Boat Rod for Tope

Postby Crevan » Thu May 28, 2015 10:53 am

Some advice please.

I'm after a light boat rod to target tope, not broom handle stiff but a rod that is light in the hand but enough poke to tame a tope. As I only go after them a few times a year so don't want to spend a fortune either.
€50~€60 budget.
Any suggestions?
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 78 times

Re: Boat Rod for Tope

Postby Tanglerat » Thu May 28, 2015 1:37 pm

Shakey UglyStick in 15lb class?

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks:
Crevan (Fri May 29, 2015 9:04 am)
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby keymcg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:24 pm

I bought myself a 12 -20 class Maver boat rod in the summer. €60 and handled a 35 lb Tope and a 90 blue shark no trouble

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby ninted » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Crevan wrote:Some advice please.

I'm after a light boat rod to target tope, not broom handle stiff but a rod that is light in the hand but enough poke to tame a tope. As I only go after them a few times a year so don't want to spend a fortune either.
€50~€60 budget.
Any suggestions?

Any tope then Crevan? I use an abu 12-20lb class (I think! But I'll have to check) More important is that you have loads of line, and even more important is that you have a really good trace. we lost some good fish last summer due to poor "tope" traces. the fish's skin actually wore through the trace. I'm using blue shark traces from now on so not to lose a potential specimen. Tope fishing is great, especially in shallow water when they jump around and scream away from the boat.
ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 29 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers