tripods

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:12 pm

Someone please pleasae recommend me a strong and reliable tripod for all types of sea fishing...there are so many im confused?

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:15 pm

personally seems hard to beat the ian golds range, the only thing that the super match ones are missing are telescopic legs if you need them for rock marks.
the mustad ones dont look too bad either but i havent used them myself.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:21 pm

BigPhil wrote:personally seems hard to beat the ian golds range, the only thing that the super match ones are missing are telescopic legs if you need them for rock marks.
the mustad ones dont look too bad either but i havent used them myself.

Is there any specific type which will do beach,peir and rock marks...the one i have at the momement wont even stand up on the beach can didnt excpect much for 13.99 anyway

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:26 pm

http://www.gamefisherman.co.uk/ishop/10 ... cr623.html
thats the mustad one, though shop around for price it has extendable legs etc etc

the ian golds supermatch 6 or 7ft is one of the most used on the beaches also - widely available from most tackle shops

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:29 pm

BigPhil wrote:http://www.gamefisherman.co.uk/ishop/1019/shopscr623.html
thats the mustad one, though shop around for price it has extendable legs etc etc

the ian golds supermatch 6 or 7ft is one of the most used on the beaches also - widely available from most tackle shops

cheers bigphil will be going shopping tomarrow in local tackle shops till i find one or the other

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:03 pm

HC,

There is only one name in tripods "Ian Golds" the first on the market and still the best value for money. When Mustard and all the bandwagon jumpers have stopped selling them or changed models, break a part and your snookered. not so with Goldsy.

Like it or not, you need 2 though, match stand for sand or shingle, but for rocks or uneven ground where the legs cant dig in, that's where the telescopic comes into it own.

You do really only get what you pay for and his are the best on the market, some who know me may say I am bias towards him, possibly true, but I can tell you there is not another company in the angling trade that cares more about his customers than Ian Golds.

Tom.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:49 am

the only one thing that would improve the ian golds range would be if the fittings, cups, leg locks, locking bolts etc were alloy or something rather than plastic as they can break quite easily if it is dropped or falls accidently. apart from that, a great stand.
i think parker or some of the other crowds have now started making complete aluminium stands to eleviate this problem?

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:47 am

Phil,

I hear what your saying and why, you do make a point, although the Parker stand is a poor copy of what Goldsy's stand was 15 years ago.

Can you believe the moulds alone for some of the plastic parts cost Ian over £20k. My point here is that its not him being greedy, he has invested in trying to bring his products as up-to-date as he can. I will let him know what your saying tomorrow and let you know his reply.

You or anyone reading should know, any problems with any of his products only takes an email or phone call to put right. he is one of the most genuine people you could ever wish to meet.

No!! I'm not his mother :lol: :lol:

Tom.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:14 am

i wouldnt doubt it whatsoever tom! its easier for the big companies to put that kind of money into product redevelopement but not perhaps so easy for the kind of 'family run' businesses, but i suppose there are always room for improvements with everything!

its just that in the past i have seen a person actually laser cutting their own leg lock bars from 5mm aluminium to replace the broken plastic ones! - and having to make some people aluminium cups and head cups to replace broken plastic ones! this is not a pop at the ian golds stand, as i said before probably the best available in my eyes but any tripod with plastic parts always will run the chance of breaking due to the rigours of sea angling!

another improvement on it could be to have extendable legs somehow, so as you could use it on the rocks etc if required to save you having to buy two different tripods? or perhaps make the extending bits an added extra spare part?

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:03 pm

Well Phil, here ya go.... :D

Ian does make a telescopic Match Stand, they are about £10 more than the normal. Should anyone want to purchase the front legs separate it will cost about £10.00, not a problem, in stock always.

Why the plastic parts ? Ian used to make most of the parts....cups, leg lock, heads from Aluminum too, but if the stand goes over the parts were unrepairable more often than not. Since he went over to plastics he tells me he gets very few complaints (single figures per year) about broken parts. What he did add....for the sake of an email or phone call any broken part would be replaced free of charge with a carriage only cost at net.....

He did mention about the Nylon, not plastic screws that hold the cup pieces in place, his words were, they cause less harm to the aluminum parts and never stick with salt residue. He did say the screw that allows the leg locks to move do break sometimes, if dropped on a hard surface, should anyone need then replaced, they'd be in an envelope the same day as the request.

Let me know what you think.

I have used nothing else but his stands since he first started to make them almost 20 years ago, so has my son. With my hand on heart, I have never broken one ever. I treat my gear well, my son is an animal with his stuff :twisted: and neither has he :shock:

Tom.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:31 pm

all very handy to know tom, cheers! might be interested in the extendable legs myself come nearer the summer months. also good to know that there is good customer service awaiting should i ever require it!
thanks again for finding out the info for us! :wink: :D

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:08 pm

BigPhil wrote:all very handy to know tom, cheers! might be interested in the extendable legs myself come nearer the summer months. also good to know that there is good customer service awaiting should i ever require it!
thanks again for finding out the info for us! :wink: :D

Yea nice 1 tom cheers..that wuz like a crash couurse in tripods :D :D :D

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:38 am

Here's a laugh for you.....you know the way most women will say "my Hoovers broke down" even if its an Electolux vacuum cleaner.

Well, Goldsy has told me loads of times that anglers have contacted him that the part he sent them didn't fit.....why not?? because it wasn't even an Ian Golds rod stand. One guy said to him "well the guy in the shop said it was" when Goldsy asked what shop he was talking about, he told the guy, but they don't have an account with me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems if its got 3 legs and stands still, its an Ian Golds rod stand :lol:

Another bit of useless information to clog up the archives :roll:

Tom.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:36 pm

Purchased a Tripod none of th two stated but shes doing a good job :D :D