Rod Advice Please

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Rod Advice Please

Postby Crevan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Im a lure fisherman for most months of the year with the exception of the winter months where I fish for cod from beach/pier and smoothhounds from the beach during the ban.

Im clueless when it comes to beach rods.

I currently use a Penn Affinity M rod 4-8oz but I find this both heavy in the hand and not great for bite detection or reeling in fish.

Im after something lighter. One of the lads I fish with has a Century Tip Tornado LD and Ive used it and I like it, except for the price!!

Can you advise on a cheaper alternative that will be lighter in the hand, good bite detection and feeling?

My budget would be €150 approx.

Thanks lads
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 78 times

Re: Rod Advice Please

Postby red » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:21 am

Their like hens teeth but an the ian golds rods are very good. You might get lucky and find one 2nd hand. The international match is probably more suited to what you want it for but the extractor would also be a good buy. Similar rod just longer and a little more backbone that could come in handy when cod fishing.

For this message the author red has received thanks:
Crevan (Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:55 am)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby red » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:04 am

Theres an IG premier match in the buy sell section. Might be a little light for the cod if the conditions are bad but supposedly a nice rod suited to 4/5oz so might suit you.
Could be worth a look.

For this message the author red has received thanks:
Crevan (Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00 am)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby beachbuddy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:01 am

The zzippy profile that's for sale in the tackle for sale section would be similar to the ttld just crisper and better bite detection.Used my ones all over Ireland from cod hunting in monkstown to tope fishing .They can do everything from light stuff to mixed ground sessions no bothers and will definitely handle upto 6ozs and bait .
Brillant rod for such a slim blank,if it were me id be putting a few extra euro on my budget and trying to get that rod into my hands.

For this message the author beachbuddy has received thanks:
Crevan (Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:14 pm)
beachbuddy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 264 times

Postby ste c » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:08 pm

beachbuddy wrote:The zzippy profile that's for sale in the tackle for sale section would be simiimo ar to the ttld just crisper and better bite detection.Used my ones all over Ireland from cod hunting in monkstown to tope fishing .They can do everything from light stuff to mixed ground sessions no bothers and will definitely handle upto 6ozs and bait .
Brillant rod for such a slim blank,if it were me id be putting a few extra euro on my budget and trying to get that rod into my hands.

I wouldnt be recommending a zippy profile for cod and tope fishing they are way too light for that type of fishing imo nice rods suited to clean beach fishing very bendy from my experience
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby Crevan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:34 pm

ste c wrote:
beachbuddy wrote:The zzippy profile that's for sale in the tackle for sale section would be simiimo ar to the ttld just crisper and better bite detection.Used my ones all over Ireland from cod hunting in monkstown to tope fishing .They can do everything from light stuff to mixed ground sessions no bothers and will definitely handle upto 6ozs and bait .

I wouldnt be recommending a zippy profile for cod and tope fishing they are way too light for that type of fishing imo nice rods suited to clean beach fishing very bendy from my experience

Thanks for the input Ste

Can I ask which rod you would recommend?
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Postby beachbuddy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:01 am

ste c wrote:

Not recommending the profile as an out and out cod or tope rod as yes they are more a clean ground rod but from my experience of the two ive owned they have handled such fishing admirably and the chap according to the original post unless im mistaken is looking for something similar to a ttld which his friend is using which a profile is and is more powerful to boot :shock:
Good luck in the search Crevan.

For this message the author beachbuddy has received thanks:
Crevan (Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:43 am)
beachbuddy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 264 times

Postby bigsod » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:28 am

The zziplex profile is a ultra slim rod and this fools many people into thinking it's not up to the job of both casting your bait out there and as a leaver to get your fish in, in truth it's well up to the job on both scores. For winter codding and summers chasing hounds this lightweight beauty will give both sport and confidence. There seems to be a growing trend to lads using ultra stiff rods in the belief there better for rough ground and tope fishing but in reality these rods are difficult to cast and don't have the feel and are total overkill. Good luck in your hunt Crevan, for your requirements and budget you won't get any better.
Fire in the belly, ice in the veins

For this message the author bigsod has received thanks: 4
beachbuddy (Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:48 pm), Crevan (Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:44 am), kstaff (Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:54 pm), MC (Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 pm)
bigsod
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 179 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Crevan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks for the feedback lads, its very much appreciated.
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Bass Dad » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:13 am

I have a TTLD going very reasonable, I will text you some pics if you're interested?
Bass Dad
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 49 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers