Switch to full style
At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!
Topic locked

Fishing Knife

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good all round fishing knife? What are the best ones out there?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Fishing Knife

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Martini are a good knife worth a look.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:06 pm

Yes Marttiini are good but they are expensive.
The Surecatch Professional Series are good to hold an edge and are only around €15.00
http://www.henrystackleshop.com/product ... 644b494821

I would prefer the one without the serrated piece in the blade.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm looking for one too. Anyone reccomend something with a nice secure sheath with a built in good quality sharpener? I had a diving knife years ago that had all that and a sheath that locked the knife in place untill you depressed a latch with your thumb, super secure but easy to remove. Can't remember the brand unfortunately and it was a bit too big for fishing.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Id get a martini if I was you iv had a few others and the would only be fit for buttering bread

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 pm

martini great but not for cutting bait. for bait a short stout sharp knife is grand. always use a chopping board don't use blade side of knife to scrape off board. Southside have €2.95 knives on the counter - the job for cutting bait and line.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Eoin wrote:martini great but not for cutting bait. for bait a short stout sharp knife is grand. always use a chopping board don't use blade side of knife to scrape off board. Southside have €2.95 knives on the counter - the job for cutting bait and line.

They are perfect for cutting bait once used on a chopping board and not rocks etc were the blade can get damaged, there is a green martini knife you can buy for €19 now in abc angling they are sharp an were about 50-60 a few year ago

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:35 pm

I thought my Martini was bad enough.....
http://www.neemantools.com/en/products/ ... hef-fillet

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:19 pm

ste c wrote:
Eoin wrote:martini great but not for cutting bait. for bait a short stout sharp knife is grand. always use a chopping board don't use blade side of knife to scrape off board. Southside have €2.95 knives on the counter - the job for cutting bait and line.

They are perfect for cutting bait once used on a chopping board and not rocks etc were the blade can get damaged, there is a green martini knife you can buy for €19 now in abc angling they are sharp an were about 50-60 a few year ago

Knives get abused cutting bait - a stout knife is a better option

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:02 pm

would not go to expensive as you end up cutting bait on rocks and plastic boards so hard to keep an edge on the knife.wooden chopping board is the best.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:07 pm

It's easy really. I have a cheap bait knife that's used and abused horrendously, and a different expensive filleting knife I tend to be careful with.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 pm

the expensive jarvis walker knivs are good for filleting

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Lidl have filleting knifes at the moment for €2.50 and they're brilliant, good and solid + ridiculously sharp

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Tanglerat wrote:It's easy really. I have a cheap bait knife that's used and abused horrendously, and a different expensive filleting knife I tend to be careful with.

The same as Tanglerat, I have a cheap bait knife but have a good victorinox filleting knife with the flexible blade, not too expensive, around 30 odd euro, the good thing with these knives is that they are easily sharpened with a decent steel.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 pm

kealan777 wrote:Lidl have filleting knifes at the moment for €2.50 and they're brilliant, good and solid + ridiculously sharp

just out of there an didnt see any type of knives

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:55 pm

They might have sold out mate they were full of em down here in dungarvan the other week
Topic locked