Looking for new setup

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Looking for new setup

Postby acknpo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi, I'm new to the board. I've been away from fishing for about 10 yrs but recently got the bug again. I still have my old rod and reel but they've started to deteriorate.
So I'm looking for a new setup for going after Bass but also pollack, wrasse etc.

My previous rod was an ABU Garcia commodore heavy action with a shimano biomaster reel both of which are now a bit knackered and need some repair. The rod also seems a bit heavy and out dated.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a new rod and reel set-up.

Cheers
acknpo
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Looking for new setup

Postby red » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 pm

All depends on your budget. A shimano venegance or a tronix pro rockfish ml and a shimano catana reel would do the job nicely for under €100.
A grauvell teklon concept is a lovely rod but about €120. Ive got the 7ft 7-28g version paired with a shimano aernos 3000(€110) and its a lovely set up. I dont do much bassing but ive had wrasse to over 4lbs without a bother.

For this message the author red has received thanks:
acknpo (Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 pm)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby acknpo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I'll check out those suggestions
acknpo
SAI Lug Worm

Postby acknpo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:28 pm

really like the look of some of those rods, they seem quite short though.

I would of thought a longer rod was needed. I'm showing my inexperience here I know but i'm a bit bamboozled by the amount of choice out there.
acknpo
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Deise boy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 am

Don't go crazy at first.

Rod shimano vengeance €43
10g to 50g 8ft

And any little reel like an Okuma or shimano to top it off.

You can thank me when your out enjoying the set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For this message the author Deise boy has received thanks:
acknpo (Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:44 pm)
Deise boy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby landlockedKE » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:16 pm

acknpo wrote:really like the look of some of those rods, they seem quite short though.

I would of thought a longer rod was needed. I'm showing my inexperience here I know but i'm a bit bamboozled by the amount of choice out there.

First time poster here also, and I'm looking to buy a lure set up having not fished much for about 15 years and I'm getting it hard to get my head around these short lure rods but will take the plunge soon as I got me a nice birthday pressie voucher, I have learned more reading the forums here than any of the tackle shops iv visited
landlockedKE
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby acknpo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:44 pm

I'll go with the vengeance then. Cheers!

I have a shimano biomaster 2 which still works so I'll stick with that for the time being, the spring in the bail arm is gone but its still okay for casting retrieving I think.

Cheers for the tips

For this message the author acknpo has received thanks:
Deise boy (Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:54 pm)
acknpo
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Camcolite » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 pm

landlockedKE wrote:
acknpo wrote:really like the look of some of those rods, they seem quite short though.

First time poster here also, and I'm looking to buy a lure set up having not fished much for about 15 years and I'm getting it hard to get my head around these short lure rods but will take the plunge soon as I got me a nice birthday pressie voucher, I have learned more reading the forums here than any of the tackle shops iv visited

Shortest rod I use is 9' for all the above mentioned species, 11' usually for bass and pollock if you like longer rods you should probably go get a longer rod. The real learning starts when you go fishing, good luck.
Camcolite
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby landlockedKE » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:15 pm

landlockedKE wrote:

Took the plunge and bought a Teknos 802 and Shimano Aernos 3000, got to use it during the week in Cahore and I'm very happy with it , great feedback through the rod and watching the lure working, there was a good bit of weed about so I was using a shallow diving shad, caught 1 small Pollock which was great as I got to sense the lure being tapped, happy out!
landlockedKE
SAI Lug Worm

Postby landlockedKE » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Took the plunge and bought a Teklon Concept 802 and Aernos 3000, got to use it in Cahore during the week and I'm very happy with it, great feedback through the rod , there was a fair bit of weed so all I was using was a shallow diving shad , got 1 small Pollock, happy out!

For this message the author landlockedKE has received thanks:
Deise boy (Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:55 pm)
landlockedKE
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers