Shimano Speedmaster TSM 100 FS

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Shimano Speedmaster TSM 100 FS

Postby yngkmd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 am

So i was on ebay last night looking at the fishing items ending soonest and came across this reel with 45 seconds to go, the highest bid was quite low so without thinking i threw on a bid of £9 just for the hell of it, expecting to be outbid at the last second. In the end i actually won it.

I dont know anything about this reel and cant find much any information on it either other than there weren't many made and there seems there may be a design flaw in the spool cracking under pressure.

Does anyone have any experience with this reel? What is it best used for? etc

Any information would be greatly appreciated
2012 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock, Whiting, Colefish (New PB), Shore Rockling, Flounder (New PB), 5 Bearded Rockling (New Species), Dogfish, Pouting, Plaice, Dab, Lesser Sandeel (New Species), Cod (New PB), Long Spine Sea Scorpion, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Goldsinney Wrasse, Butterfish (New Species), Ling (PB), Halibut (New Species), Haddock (New Species), Red Fish (New Species), Wolffish (New Species), Rockcook Wrasse, Shanny, Poorcod, Conger

2011 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock(PB), Lumpfish (New Species), Whiting, Colefish, Codling(PB), Dab, Pouting, Shore Rockling, Conger (PB), Blenny, Corkwing Wrasse, Three Bearded Rockling (new Species), Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Ballan Wrasse, Plaice, LSSS, Poor Cod (new Species that i know of), Sand Smelt (new Species), Herring (new Species)
yngkmd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 75 times

Re: Shimano Speedmaster TSM 100 FS

Postby Tanglerat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:59 am

Never used it myself, but it's very highly regarded amongst the cognisenti. You got a great buy there.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby MAC » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:21 am

I rebuilt a speedmaster 3 a few years back.. They are a nice reel and for that money you'll be happy.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby JOHN1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:22 pm

I have and still use two of them that were bought new about 25 years ago great reels would never part with them none of my spools have ever split bit it was a concern when they came out first. Seemingly there was a cheap version that had no break pins on the spool these were hard to cast with so I was told luckily both of mine were the better ones ;-) you won't be dissapointed and if you are I will give you what you played for it ;-).
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby yngkmd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:09 pm

thanks for the replies, looks like i got an accidental bargain :D
2012 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock, Whiting, Colefish (New PB), Shore Rockling, Flounder (New PB), 5 Bearded Rockling (New Species), Dogfish, Pouting, Plaice, Dab, Lesser Sandeel (New Species), Cod (New PB), Long Spine Sea Scorpion, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Goldsinney Wrasse, Butterfish (New Species), Ling (PB), Halibut (New Species), Haddock (New Species), Red Fish (New Species), Wolffish (New Species), Rockcook Wrasse, Shanny, Poorcod, Conger

2011 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock(PB), Lumpfish (New Species), Whiting, Colefish, Codling(PB), Dab, Pouting, Shore Rockling, Conger (PB), Blenny, Corkwing Wrasse, Three Bearded Rockling (new Species), Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Ballan Wrasse, Plaice, LSSS, Poor Cod (new Species that i know of), Sand Smelt (new Species), Herring (new Species)
yngkmd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 75 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers