Rangers and pencils

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:19 pm

Hi all

Heading to Fuerteventura for a week in March with family in tow so fishing time will be strictly controlled! :cry: I am told that you can catch sierra i.e. bonito (skipjack tuna, a 10 lb mackerel), bluefish (a truly awesome reputation), leerfish (jaysus!), European barracuda (early winter is the season for them) and a host of others on Lanzarote, Graciosa and Fuerteventura only. I have less corroborated / quality reports of dorado (dolphinfish) off the shore and ina few months the Africa barracuda will show up there - but these will be juvenile fish... only 25-40 lbs! :shock:

Some holidays hints there for everyone here...

Looking for information anyone has on Ranger lures from the USA, used for striped bass (the Fermoyle variety :wink: ) and bluefish there but well used on the continent in search of other species including our own bass.

The "pencils" as I understand it are needlefish lures, a bit like small gars so I am bringing some German sprats with me to try, but I am looking for anyone with additional information.... they use coloured surgical tubing slipped onto trace wire with a few trebles to make these in the USA...

I may look at bait fishing but I don't fancy handling big stingrays, morays, or scorpionfish, never mind in darkness, and in any case its only a travel rod so I'm not keen to test it against a 80 lb butterfly ray!

Do people think that a new forum "holiday snappers" :D might prove useful as a resource for everyone planning a holiday?

btw, the harris angling site has a half decent forum, http://www.caranx.net is excellent if you can speak Spanish... I've made contact with a moderator who lives :D on the island (Abe) and he's promised to give me a hand...

Big thanks in advance for any help, advice or information...

RSVP
Last edited by kieran on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:28 pm

http://floridasurffishing.net/forum/dcboard.php

Kieran,

Do a google search for "Roberts Rangers"

I cant remember the company name but there is a slim pencil popper that some of the guys on the above site use, go there and ask about them, you'll get more than enough information about lure on that site.

Tom.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:48 pm

Leerfish.... can be great fun and will happily chase a lure or spinner I've seen them caugh on spinners but they are very fond of poppers. I'm not sure what size they run over there, but I think a 2 - 3 inch popper will be fine. Go for size 8 trebels and you should hook most species. Bring bigger if you are getting mauled. As mentioned before the Barracudas like the deeper lures. Nice cheap plastic ones. Bluefish have a fearsome rep in the US and given the other species that you are likely to encounter I think a Boga grip might be the way to go. I also think a Holiday Section is a great idea. From the sounds of it I'll have to get back to Lanzarote sooner rather than later.

Kev

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:46 pm

holiday snappers is a great idea. In the last six years I have fished of four different blue water boats in the atlantic and the caribean and never saw a fish. (execpt in the photos they show you ) so it would be nice to see some reports and locations that do fish well or even give some sport geo

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:58 am

If you want a rough translation of the Spanish website using Google's translation tools......
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools