Rovex Tackle

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Rovex Tackle

Postby jgraham768 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello all just wondering if there's any opinions here on the Rovex rods and reels and general tackle. Good, bad? Anything at all.
Also tsunami lures & rigs and the Ryobi stuff as well? any and all horror stories welcome.
John
A bad days fishing is still better then a good day at the office.

Species of 2014 (1): Pollock

Species of 2013 (13): (coarse) Brown Trout, Seatrout, Salmon
(sea) Pollock, Mackerel, Cod, Ling, Bass, Dogfish, Coalie, Ballan Wrasse, Cuckoo Wrasse, Mullet

Species of 2012 (11): (coarse) brown trout, seatrout, pike, roach
(sea) mackerel, Spanish mackerel, pollock, cuckoo wrasse, coalie, cod, dogfish, bass
jgraham768
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 54 times

Re: Rovex Tackle

Postby anthony byrne » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm a very big fan of the rovex rods and they have never let me down. I've used the 14lb, 20lb, 30lb boat rods, their lure rod and their kayak rod. All cheaper than €40 and very well made. My favourite is the 20lb it's seen over 50 sessions with me on the kayak soft enough to feel the tiddlers and strong enough for big Huss and tope !
No confidence in their reels
http://anthonybyrnekayakangler.blogspot.ie
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 147 times

Postby jgraham768 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Ya we got a few boat and yak rods into the shop today. Got a few of their reels as well and i was sceptical to say the least about the reels, the rods do look very nice! all solid glass tips but stiff butt sections so i'll have to try a few me thinks.. :P Have you been let down yourself by the reels or just heard a few people had trouble with them?

(sea) Pollock, Mackerel, Cod, Ling, Bass, Dogfish, Coalie, Ballan Wrasse, Cuckoo Wrasse, Mullet

(sea) mackerel, Spanish mackerel, pollock, cuckoo wrasse, coalie, cod, dogfish, bass
jgraham768
SAI Bait Ball

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I had a rovex ceratec sea bass lure rod 20-40 g I thought it was a bit stiff tbh. Absolutely no fault of the rod I thought the build quality was excellent just the rod action was not to my taste.
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby jgraham768 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:25 pm

shortcircuit wrote:I had a rovex ceratec sea Bass lure rod 20-40 g I thought it was a bit stiff tbh. Absolutely no fault of the rod I thought the build quality was excellent just the rod action was not to my taste.

Ya we got one of them in, the 4pc is it? we got the 2pc 30-50g too i'm thinking i might use that as a light gear uptider for bass off the boat. Beautiful looking rods i must say, i like the split grip design too. I think my next luring purchase will be a bushwhacker of some sort maybe get a light AG veritas too. (the joys of little responsibility :wink: ).

The integra kayak and boat rods are lovely though! 8-14lb kayak rod will be great fun i should think!

jgraham768
SAI Bait Ball

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:27 pm

They are class looking rods alright the grips are lovely and the white colour is very snazzy id say it would be great for boat work
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby jgraham768 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:30 pm

Thats what i'm hoping anyways, have a nice ryobi zauber the rep gave me to pair with it! :D :D :D

jgraham768
SAI Bait Ball

Postby anthony byrne » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:48 pm

jgraham768 wrote:Ya we got a few boat and yak rods into the shop today. Got a few of their reels as well and i was sceptical to say the least about the reels, the rods do look very nice! all solid glass tips but stiff butt sections so i'll have to try a few me thinks.. :P Have you been let down yourself by the reels or just heard a few people had trouble with them?

I was let down myself 3 sessions in and it ceased not to mention the handle snapping !
The kayak rod is great Craic 4ft 3inches I had smoothies up to 6-7lb on it some buzz
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby jgraham768 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 am

anthony byrne wrote:
jgraham768 wrote:Ya we got a few boat and yak rods into the shop today. Got a few of their reels as well and i was sceptical to say the least about the reels, the rods do look very nice! all solid glass tips but stiff butt sections so i'll have to try a few me thinks.. :P Have you been let down yourself by the reels or just heard a few people had trouble with them?

I was let down myself 3 sessions in and it ceased not to mention the handle snapping !
The kayak rod is great Craic 4ft 3inches I had smoothies up to 6-7lb on it some buzz

Ok very good thanks for the info Anthony! Ya we got the 5ft i think but it looks like there will be fun with it! :D :D

jgraham768
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Nathan Davidson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:16 am

from what ive heard the rovex rods are okay, although beware of how much pressure you put on them seen one break when caught up on a nasty snag spinning for Pollock.
Nathan Davidson
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby anthony byrne » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:43 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

Done a little test, got this rod as a freebie as it had damaged eyes. Nearly a complete U before it snapped
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)

For this message the author anthony byrne has received thanks:
jgraham768 (Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 pm)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers