Greys Nitra

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:27 pm

Recently bought one of these for the rough stuff.

The rod is 13ft 6 ins long, reasonably light and in my opinion VERY powerful - just what I wanted. Have not had a chance to get it out onto the really rough stuff yet but been having a go with it at every opportunity.

I use the reel down and find this a lovely rod to cast and fish with although I think that bite detection is not great unless it's a decent fish. The finish of the rod is excellent although i would have preferred it to have a white tip section ( although a few spirals of reflective tape do the same job ). My only criticism would be that the sliding reel seat does not clamp down fully onto the blank when using any reel with a flat foot, although it is fine with a 7ht or sl20. Apparently Greys know about this problem and a new reel seat is available to sort it properly.

i looked at rough ground rods from other manufacturers but the Greys warranty swung me back every time - call it a safety net 8)

Roll on the summer conger fishing!

Lee

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:40 pm

are greys going to supply the new reels seats free for the rods, ive got the same problem with the supro, mate has it with orion m2, hadda build up the butt with tape to get a tight fit.

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Was talking to L & G about it and they are going to get in touch with Greys and get me the new version of the reel seat. It would be easy to attach coasters or a talon reel clamp but don't see the point. Funny thing is that the rod I had a few casts with did not have this problem as I checked that it would tighten down properly but the new rod I bought had the older reel seat.

To be honest, it's annoying but more than pleased with the rod itself.

Might even let you have a wee chuck with it Phil :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lee

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:02 pm

Told you you would like her Lee! The tip is a devil to see at night though so I'm gonna put some kind of reflective strip on it. Been using it for congering at St. Johns Point and it hasn't let me down yet.

Pete

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:16 pm

Yea, thanks for the advice Pete. Have reflective tape on mine - great job!

Was considering the Platinum but glad now that I didnt buy one - think the Nitra is about as stiff as someone my size could handle without giving all the leverage back to the fish!

Lee