Berkley gulp

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:16 pm

whats peoples opinions on these ? the shrimp, sandeel ,crab etc

Re: Berkley gulp

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 pm

i use wd40 , its helped me a lot

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 am

From a search here: search.php?keywords=BERKLEY++GULP&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:37 am

I don't think anyone will rave about them as a bait on their own. However I've had good success when surf fishing for bass with the gulp lugworm - but only when using them to tip off a string of lug. I just hook them once through the head.

This has outfished standard lug baits on numerous occasions for me when fished side by side. I don't know whether this is down to the gulp waving around nicely in the surf. To be honest I suspect that its simply that the gulp acts as a nice bait stop and keeps the lug on the hooks when casting and when being washed around in the surf! Whatever the reason, I always bring a pack with me when I'm hitting a surf beach.

Would I fish them as a bait on their own? Not unless I was looking to go for an uninterrupted snooze....!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:04 pm

I've caught a few mini species , pech , pike on the ragworm imitation but I prefer power isome :) haven't tried the other soft baits yet :)

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:41 pm

When LRF (Light Rock Fishing) myself and customers often use the Sandworm on jigs and dropshot and it is very effective for many species, Other than that and occasionally the floating version I never use it.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Steve wrote:I don't think anyone will rave about them as a bait on their own. However I've had good success when surf fishing for Bass with the gulp lugworm - but only when using them to tip off a string of lug. I just hook them once through the head.
..!

so hook a lug worm up normally and then attach one of them is it ?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm

I have never used gulp for standard beach/rock fishing when looking for any fish that might turn up. Nor have I used it when lure fishing. But I'd use fairly big lug baits when targetting surf bass - at least 4 decent worms. After these have been threaded onto the snood/hook I then head-hook a gulp lugworm which hangs freely off the end of the hook.

I've never used anything other than the gulp lug either so can't comment on the shrimp/crabs etc. As I said it may be nothing more than a glorified bait stop but it does seem to work for me and side by side results with lug only baits have proven that its worth a place in my bag on the surf beaches I fish.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:34 pm

I had good success with lugworm for wrasse by trimming just above tail and sticking it on small jig head,the wrasse were hammering it every time I dropped it over the edge. I had tried the gulp as a last resort because they kept biting the tails off the ragworm otherwise I wouldn't of tried it but I'm glad I did.regarding using it as bait I used it on a light line comp with 3 hook pats 2 hooks with mackeral and one with gulp I quickly turned back to mackeral.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:29 pm

had a 45 cm bass on the crab (in the pitch black) so they will catch ,i keep saying i,ll buy a pack when the smoothies turn up but keep forgetting to ,i will put it on my "to do list " :lol:

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

A little more about it here, Power Isomes are a similar product but not as effective in my opinion. http://southeastanglingservices.com/2014/01/24/gulp/