century tip tornado ultralight

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:21 am

hi i am fairly new o this game and could do with a little advice !

i use a couple of different rods and reels at the moment and have come to the conclusion that i prefer the abus to daiwa , i have also come to the conclusion that alot of my fishing will be done over clean beaches ,harbours and estuaries . I was wondering if the Century Tip Tornado Ultralite paired with a ABU mag elite ,be a good choice for this type of fishing . I have had a look at one in my local tackle dealers and really like the idea of the lightweight rod .

i am also looking for information on a ZZiplex 2500 ptx as i know almost nothing about it . eg is it a match rod suited to clean beaches or could it be used for dragging fish through kelp and over rocks ?

bs

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:59 pm

i have a limited knowledge of the century ultralilite. as far as i know the zippy is more of a fishing rod and highly rated by some. it is a clean beach match rod that will handle mixed ground when needed. the century could prove a little tough on soft baits as it is quite stiff considering it's casting weight. it will not let you away with casting errors. however if it's the rod you like go for it! it will soften with use becoming more user friendly anyway. maybe someone else can help you out with some info??

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:25 pm

the zziplex 2500ptx is an out and out match rod and in some opinions the best they ever made,great bite detection and can put a lkead out aswell if it has to.the tip tornado ultralite is not what the name suggests it is quite powerful and will handle piers and harbours and the like .it will handle three dogs no problem aswell.have a look on the century web site there is a good write up on this rod on there.

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:44 am

the tt ultralite is an absolute cracker!it wont burst a bait at alll if used correctly and has a brilliant bite detection, agreat fun fishing rod, it puts a bit of sport back into things

Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:14 am

Just for fun, you might want to check out the new Cantury Tip Tornado SRE (Sea, River, Estuary). It is a 3 piece all rounder with the same beatiful casting quality of the Tip Tornado Range.

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:08 pm

carbon metal sre?

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:19 pm

Oh pooh - You are right Phil - Carbon Metal SRE. The Carbon Metal is a bit of a stiff rod, but the SRE is supposed to be a more forgiving version. The three 5 foot sections make transport easier.

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:43 pm

yeah, couple of guys have em and say they are equally at home flickin 1oz in close or blasting 5 oz out!

Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:48 pm

Have to agree with Phil, the Ultra lite is definetely one of Centurys better rods, super surf or match rod.

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:33 pm

i had pretty much decided on the Ultrlite as my next purchase and you guys have just compounded what i was lead to believe in the first place !
some say the zziplex is an out and out match rod but does this mean it would be unsuitable for rough ground work ?

bs

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:04 pm

i wouldnt use it in the rough anyway!!

a tackle tarts dilema

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:10 am

can any of you make a few suggestions for a rough ground rod ?

it is my intention to keep the zippy and a ABU mag for clean beach work , a ultralite and another abu for light /close in /estuary /bass etc.
i have an old ABU Premier with a new slosh x which i intend to use for rough work ..........i know threel is capable but i am not too shure about the rod .

what i dont want to do is end up with a plethora of equipment i never use there is already about 20 rods in the garage including 8 carp rods !.........if i must develop a sea angling tackle habit then i would like to make intelligent purchases based on what real anglers think of the product and not what some blurb in a mag says .
i have also found out that buying cheap is akin to buying twice and a false economy . I would rather save and buy what i wanted than buy what i can afford at the time , so i am looking for your suggestions as to what your favourite piece of equipment is and why ?

one of the reasons i fancy the ultralite is i fish three century ng carp rods and there is simply nothing quite like them .

bs

Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:36 pm

I use an Abu Suveran Beach Sport and a Daiwa TDXS 130M which both have plenty of muscle for the rocks. I think the Suveran Sport Beach is now the Suveran XP.

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:31 pm

there are quite a few rough ground rods about depending on what budget you have greys apollo good rough ground rod and life time guarntee and a good price13 or 14 ft.conoflex anubis but it is a hell of a price,century kompressor grand prix and the zziplex xtr and hst.

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 pm

there are loads of rough ground rods from conoflex, the anubis probably being the newest and best.
but dont over look the likes of the nemesis plus or premier, highlander etc..check the conoflex website - they have a great reputation for their rough ground rods and some of them arent terriblt expensive though may be a little heavier than others(the older ones that is)

Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:22 pm

In relation to your purchase of a light beachcaster. I was talking to a fellow recently in a tackle shop in England. He is a tournament caster sponsored by century and also fishes with century rods as he gets them free (his words) :oops:

I was asking the same question in relation to a light rod and the question I asked him was "if you had £250 to spend on a light beach rod, what would the rod be that you would take?" His reply "the powertex bass rod from Zziplex" which surprised me. When pushed to give me a reason he said they were the far superior rod by far! :shock:

Just thought I would give you the info I was given.