best FS reel for distance casting?

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:01 pm

Hiya all

Having looked at the long rods, I now want to look at what the best casting reel would be for it. Having a mind to some night fishing, I think I will go with a standard FS rather than another multiplier.

What's out there and what do you recommend. Expect to load it with 20 lb braid and fish it over relatively clean ground.

Thanks

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:12 pm

I'd go for an Okuma Impact IM80. Cheap, cheerful, seem to be reliable and if it does stuff up in an unreasonably short space of time the reps seem to have told the tackle dealers to replace them without question.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:50 pm

I recently picked up a Daiwa Emcast Plus for £49.99 - nice big reel casting well so far.

Got it at Leslies of Luton - cheapest i could find by a long way.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:53 pm

the best one i have in the seat box for distance work is the shimano ultegra 12000. i can definately recommend them, although they are over the £100 mark.

post subject

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:48 pm

in France many anglers use F S , at the present time the best is
shimano ultegra 10000 or 12000 (120e)

tight lines :wink:

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:58 am

Nothing wrong with the penn surfmasters, robust and a bit cheaper than some of the daiwa and shimano models. Have been using them heavily for three years and still operating perfectly.

Pete

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:01 pm

I know Mackellow was using the Surf Master for distance casting years ago, long before he worked for Penn and hitting big distance with them.

They do have one major problem, the line can easily get under the spool and foul up.

Other than that, they seem to be good value for money.

Tom.