Nanofill leader problems

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Nanofill leader problems

Postby Leesider » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Hey all,

Ive been trying out some nanofill (supposedly an improvement on braid) using 38lb tying to 15lb flurocarbon and im having loads of problems with the line breaking at the knot. I've tried all the recommended knots, uni to uni, albright, etc.. and am having crack offs at the knots and this is just using lures..
Anybody use this and how any opinions. Its doing my head in at this stage...lost 4 good lures this way trying the different knots..
Any advice ideas appreciated....
Leesider
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Nanofill leader problems

Postby JimC » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 pm

To say Nanofil was an improvement on braid would be generous. Certainly it is meant to be an improvement over braid in terms of casting. I would not notice a huge difference in distance but Nanofil is certainly very well behaved in terms of knots and tangles while casting.
It is very slippery so you have to take note of the knotting hints on the label.
I have found the Yucatan knot to be easy to tie while afloat and it seems to suit Nanofil because the line is doubled. ( it is a take on an albright. I used use an Albright before changinging)
I would always moisten the knot before tightening. I put gradual pressure to tighten before putting the pressure on when the knot is tidy. Only then I leave go the tag ends and put the final squeeze on.
It is rare to get a break if done correctly.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby The Austrian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:45 am

This one works very well attaching Nanofil to a Flouro leader as it doesn't weaken or kink the line

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8
And here is another rock solid knot that is simple to tie if you want to connect a lure directly

http://youtube.com/watch?v=of8-LkQlkOU
Not sure about the name, some call it a noose knot
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein

For this message the author The Austrian has received thanks:
HoleDigger (Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:19 pm)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby Eoin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:02 pm

are you wetting the flouro?
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Leesider » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks all, ill give them a try. I always wet the knots before pulling them...thanks again.
Leesider
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers