best place to buy new rods and reels

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Re: best place to buy new rods and reels

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Sorry Ste, but as far as I am aware thats not true - someone correct me if I'm wrong though!!

AFAIK Alderney is not in the EU. If you are purchasing online from outside the EU then your purchase may be eligible for VAT and duty.

As quoted from another website "If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information."

I know at least two people who have been burnt for VAT and duty ordering stuff from Jersey to Ireland. Alderney as part of the channel Islands would be the same??

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you got lucky Ste - wouldn't mind knowing either way as Alderney Angling has some very good prices excluding VAT!!!!
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby The Austrian » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Just found this bit of info, looks like you really can get away with no additional fees or taxes! :) :) :)

"ALDERNEY IS VAT FREE

Taxation in Alderney is different to that of the UK or indeed most other countries. One of these differences is that there is no VAT in Alderney. The prices displayed on the site are exclusive of VAT.

For our UK customers: The prices displayed on the site are exclusive of VAT. VAT will be added at checkout, and is also visible in your shopping cart whilst you shop. Due to the relationship between the Channel Islands and the UK all VAT to the UK will be prepaid before dispatch so as to ensure a smooth transition through UK Customs and so that no further charges are applied after checkout or on delivery of your order. Orders will still take the same time to arrive as quoted in the Delivery Policy.

For European/Worldwide customers: To all other destinations orders will be dispatched with no VAT prepaid and at the prices displayed on the website."

http://www.alderneyangling.com/index.ph ... icle_id=12

http://www.gov.gg/importandexportcontrols
http://www.gov.gg/article/1892/Guernsey ... and-the-EU
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein

For this message the author The Austrian has received thanks:
HoleDigger (Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:18 pm)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby 1poundfish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:41 pm

well lads im going to order a lineaeffe rapid bass fd reel just wondering what size should i go for :?: my rod is 210cm casting weight 15-40gr thanks
1poundfish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby The Austrian » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Either model size 30FD or 40FD should keep you happy. If in doubt go for the bigger one. :lol:

both models are in stock now from GAC: http://www.fishingmegastore.com/lineaef ... da03&e=871
Shipping: (Citylink EIRE) (EUR)11.44
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby makrelfloat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Local tackle shops can be dearer .. yes.... but you always get that snippet or two that's worth it's weight in gold. When I moved to Dublin my first east coast bass were a result of help from a local tackle shop. My advice is to balance it out and buy some stuff in your local.
makrelfloat
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby The Austrian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:10 am

makrelfloat wrote:Local tackle shops can be dearer .. yes.... but you always get that snippet or two that's worth it's weight in gold. When I moved to Dublin my first east coast Bass were a result of help from a local tackle shop. My advice is to balance it out and buy some stuff in your local.

I hear you, but unfortunately my next 'local' would be a 3 hrs round trip away, one of the disadvantages when you live in the sticks :wink: and then there is the omnipresent parking problem, or the gear what I want to buy is not available, together with the time and diesel wasted and the frustration of having spent a lot of money in stuff I did not really want to buy only not to leave the shop empty handed.
Online shopping all the way for me. But if you have a local tackle shop worthy of your support then you would be silly not to. You will surely miss it when it is not there anymore :(

For this message the author The Austrian has received thanks:
HoleDigger (Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:22 pm)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby ste c » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Steve wrote:Sorry Ste, but as far as I am aware thats not true - someone correct me if I'm wrong though!!

AFAIK Alderney is not in the EU. If you are purchasing online from outside the EU then your purchase may be eligible for VAT and duty.

As quoted from another website "If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information."

I know at least two people who have been burnt for VAT and duty ordering stuff from Jersey to Ireland. Alderney as part of the channel Islands would be the same??

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you got lucky Ste - wouldn't mind knowing either way as Alderney Angling has some very good prices excluding VAT!!!!

only seen this now mate you will not get stung 100% i have got many of items have told my other mates about it and they are all ordering there now and over the moon with the prices for reels/line etc
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby john86 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:17 am

I dont understand how it is so much more expensive to purchase fishing gear over here.If i am buying any sort of expensive item i end up getting it from the uk i would rather support my local tackle shops but cant justify spending nearly double in some cases for the same thing apart from paul in east coast tackle i think tackle shops over here way to expensive and are pricing themsrlves out of business
john86
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Previous

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers