Savage Gear Bushwacker 10-40g 8ft spinning rod

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Savage Gear Bushwacker 10-40g 8ft spinning rod

Postby Eoghan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 am

So I finally got out for 40 mins on Sun afternoon to put this rod through its paces. Very nice piece of kit for the money. Very responsive yet flexible in the cast. Great for working heavier soft plastics all the way up to heavier metal lures.
I was a bit aprehensive as there are a number of reports of people snapping these rods but im sure you get a degree of that with all rods. Anyway I gave the rod some stick. Very impressed. For the money you get a brilliant rod, and dont have to spend the kind of money that Illex/Daiwa and co command for their higher end rods. Nice and light too at 150g. I paired it with the okuma 40S which turns out I have too much backing on as I was casting right down to the start of this. What a waste of braid..!
But if you are looking for a great rod, approx € 90 or so, then ye wont go wrong with one of these.

Website bit below :

The Savage Gear Bushwhacker XLNT rods are built on super responsivehigh modulud carbon fibre blanks, using the very latest technology - ensuring ultra fast and strong rods with incredible lightness. The combination of Portuguese AAA cork and hard Japenese EVA to suit Fuji's gold label reel seats make these rods stand out from the crowd. The Bushwhacker XLNT has been designed from butt cap to tip with the input of some of Europe's most high profiled predator anglers.

• Fuji gold label reel seat
• Premium quality SIC guides
• Quality Japenese hard EVA handles combined with Portuguese AAA cork
• High modulus carbon fibre blanks
• Spiral pattern varnish
• Spigot joints
• Deluxe rod bag

• Length: 243cm
• Casting Weight: 10-40g
• Rod Weight: 150g
• Sections: 2
Attachments
bushwacker.jpg
bushwacker.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
Top 3 lure caught bass 2017 :
10Ib 5 oz
9Ib 2oz
8Ib 11oz

For this message the author Eoghan has received thanks: 2
lurehunter1 (Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:49 pm), roryodonnell (Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 am)
Eoghan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 254 times

Re: Savage Gear Bushwacker 10-40g 8ft spinning rod

Postby spindlefist » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:23 pm

I use the bigger brother of it, the MP PRO 10', as my main quarry are pike these days.. cracking rods, cannot fault them

http://www.henrystackleshop.com/product ... ts_id/2594
2016: dogfish, pollack,

2015: whiting, coalfish, turbot, pollack, ballan wrasse, conger, thornback, short spined sea scorpion , common blenny ,

2014 : dogfish, garfish, launce, common blenny, cuckoo wrasse, flounder, pollack, thornback ray,

2013 species:(15) Whiting, Dogfish, Three Bearded Rockling, bull huss, poor cod,turbot, flounder,pollack, spotted ray, thornback ray, launce, corkwing wrasse, long spined sea scorpion, common blenny,mackerel,

2012 species: Thornback, bull huss, Dogfish, pollack, Mackerel, bass, flounder, turbot, conger,

Species 09:(23) Conger, Whiting, Bass, flounder, Dogfish, dab, corkwing wrasse, pollack, bull huss(8lb 10oz~PB) , thornback ray(8lb~PB), dragonet, ballan wrasse, Blenny, Mackeral,long spined sea scorpion,pouting, coalfish, launce, codling, poor cod, starry smoothhound, 5 bearded rockling, shore rockling..

For this message the author spindlefist has received thanks:
Eoghan (Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:24 am)
spindlefist
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby Steve » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I use the younger brother, the MP predator 8'3 6-23g for sea trout. Cracking little modern style lure rod with a lovely tip. Perfect for medium sized weightless plastics also.

Savage Gear generally equals savage value. Never bought anything of theirs that I haven't been pleased with.

For this message the author Steve has received thanks:
Eoghan (Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:30 pm)
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby Sparkie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 pm

I have the same rod and I also bought the 3g-16g one to. There both amazing rods and great value for the money!
Species 2011:coalie,whiting, 5bearded rockling,shore rockling, doggie, pollock,flounder,codling,dab,smoothhound,sea scorpion,ballan wrasse,Tope, tub gurnard, gray gurnard,plaice,bass,Bullhuss,cod

Species 2012:coalie,doggie,codling,shore and 5bearded rockling,3bearded rockling,pouting,whiting,wrasse,bass,plaice,flounder,dab,smoothhound,hiss,tope,cod,tub and gray gurnard,Pollack

Species 2013:Double figure smoothy off the beach,doggie,gray gurnard,codling,goalie,flounder,plaice,whiting,tope. Double figure huss off the beach,dab, bass,pouting,silver eel.
Sparkie
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby Rob Millard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:06 pm

I landed a 20lbs Tope on my bushwhacker 40g last summer. If it didn't snap doing that, it's not going to happen!
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby razor2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:31 pm

I have had two that have snapped on me but i still have one yep a nice little rod for the money 8)
razor2
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 196 times

Postby Divisadero » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

I have one of the original 2009 15-40 8' 6" Bushwhackers with the eva handles. Very stiff but a great budget modern lure rod and I would never get rid of mine. I have to say though that there have been a lot of reports online lately of Bushwhacker tips breaking. Whether these are 'normal' breakages or whether there is an issue with the rods I can't say.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2
Divisadero
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 77 times

Postby Eoghan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Yeah I saw that myself before I bought the rod. I wonder if its people using the correct weighted lures. If mine goes while using a lure within the 10-40 then I'll be bringing it back and wont be waiting for it to be fixed...! But so far I have been getting great distance on casts and have caught a few bass on it and I love it.
Top 3 lure caught bass 2017 :
10Ib 5 oz
9Ib 2oz
8Ib 11oz
Eoghan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 254 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers