Penn Surfblaster Ruff Stuff 14'

Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:41 am

Purchased one of these a few weeks ago for €190 from Dans place in Halfway, Cork. I wanted a somewhat stronger rod than what I was using with the benefits an extra couple of feet could offer also. After much humming and haaaing, I decided on the Ruff Stuff. This is a very stiff, long rod that feels quite heavy compared to what I was using before (abu garcia enticer 12' 4-6oz) It is very well finished however in a nice eyecatching blue colour with Fuji rings throughout and an adjustable reelseat that can be fixed anywhere you like.

I had a minor mishap on my first cast with it which resulted in the tip ring folding over as it obviously hadnt been crimped right. Popped straight back with it to Dan who had a new ring fixed on in a couple of minutes for me. I team this rod with a 525 mag loaded with 18lb line. With the heavy weights, 6-7oz, and large baits required to fish The wall it is where this rod really comes into its own. This rod has put 40 yards onto my casting straight away with no major adjustments in style. It takes an awful lot of power to start compressing the blank but when you do, My God! It can chuck a hell of a way, it has the 525 singing like a bird. Before, I was struggling to put baits over a hundred yards, this thing is sending them towards 150. Very pleased with it and have no problem recommending it to anyone. Bite registration on a rod so poky is excellent with no trouble picking up bites from small stuff at all.

rough stuff

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:35 am

Whats the bite detection like on this rod.
/Derry