match rod

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

match rod

Postby hunterman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

is there a differance in a match rod than a standard 13ft beach rod ive a chance of a new match rod at a decent price would it be ok 2 use it for my fishing on rocks/beaches its a anyfish anywhere match rod or should i stick with a standard beach rod
hunterman
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: match rod

Postby paul mason » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:14 pm

hunterman wrote:is there a differance in a match rod than a standard 13ft beach rod ive a chance of a new match rod at a decent price would it be ok 2 use it for my fishing on rocks/beaches its a anyfish anywhere match rod or should i stick with a standard beach rod

Match rods as per say have more flexible tips for bite indication. These type of rods are not really suitable for rough ground..... although fishing off rocks onto clean sand would be fine.

http://www.anyfishanywhere.com/reviews.htm
Kstaff has always been the new black in my eyes anyway!!!!!!!

Indomitable spirit - never giving up or wanting to give up.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/east-coast-tackle/

http://www.eastcoasttackle.ie

East Coast Tackle

For this message the author paul mason has received thanks:
darrenh (Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:37 pm)
paul mason
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby kstaff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:39 pm

to echo what Paul said and add the fact that these rods are fantastic bits of kit!
Blue n White is the new Black!!!

For this message the author kstaff has received thanks:
JOHN1 (Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:53 pm)
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby sea serpant » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:01 pm

The afaw tournament match are one of the best rods out there so I'm guessin the standard match is a great rod as well and as paul said match rods are lighter than a average rods and are a pleasure to fish with over clean ground

For this message the author sea serpant has received thanks:
JOHN1 (Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:28 pm)
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby fish4fun » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:03 am

sea serpant wrote:The afaw tournament match are one of the best rods out there so I'm guessin the standard match is a great rod as well and as paul said match rods are lighter than a average rods and are a pleasure to fish with over clean ground

Had a chance to use one of these a couple of months ago and it was superb. Not a rough ground rod though but loads of power in the middle. On my wish list now, think it would be perfect for thornies.
fish4fun
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby highwatermark » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:19 pm

An alternative is a Power Float Rod, much like a match, sensitive tip, but with a bit more power down the blank. Usually capable of handling lines in the 8-10lb range, whereas a typical match rod will have a line rating usually in the 6lb mark. I use a 13' Drennan Tench Float and have comfortably handled carp to 10lb no problem. Every confidence it could handle a lot more too......just haven't managed a bigger one on it......yet :D
highwatermark
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby bigsod » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 pm

highwatermark wrote:An alternative is a Power Float Rod, much like a match, sensitive tip, but with a bit more power down the blank. Usually capable of handling lines in the 8-10lb range, whereas a typical match rod will have a line rating usually in the 6lb mark. I use a 13' Drennan Tench Float and have comfortably handled carp to 10lb no problem. Every confidence it could handle a lot more too......just haven't managed a bigger one on it......yet :D

I think your getting your sea and freshwater rods mixed up a little highwatermark. I'm not saying the rod your talking about isn't sutible for use in the sea, just I don't think it would cope with power casting of dragging in trebles of dogs.
Last edited by bigsod on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire in the belly, ice in the veins

For this message the author bigsod has received thanks:
red (Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:16 pm)
bigsod
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 179 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby highwatermark » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:55 pm

bigsod wrote:
highwatermark wrote:An alternative is a Power Float Rod, much like a match, sensitive tip, but with a bit more power down the blank. Usually capable of handling lines in the 8-10lb range, whereas a typical match rod will have a line rating usually in the 6lb mark. I use a 13' Drennan Tench Float and have comfortably handled carp to 10lb no problem. Every confidence it could handle a lot more too......just haven't managed a bigger one on it......yet :D

I think your getting your sea and freshwater rods mixed up a little highwatermark

Not at all, but thanks for pointing it out anyway. I have freshwater and salt water rods and do my best :D :D :D not to get them "mixed" up lol. I have seen many ppl down the years using both freshwater float and indeed specimen type rods for their sea fishing. I assumed, wrongly it seems, the poster referred to a freshwater match rod as opposed to a match sea rod. My mistake :( Nonetheless, a freshwater power float or specimen type rod in the 1 1/2-1 3/4lbs class could provide great fun in the right circumstances IMHO :D
highwatermark
SAI Bait Ball

Postby bigsod » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:59 pm

I agree, light tackle is the best way to enjoy the fight and it would be grand for close in stuff, but for distance and dragging power I think it would be found wanting.
Fire in the belly, ice in the veins
bigsod
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 179 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby highwatermark » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

bigsod wrote:I agree, light tackle is the best way to enjoy the fight and it would be grand for close in stuff, but for distance and dragging power I think it would be found wanting.

Agreed entirely, cheers
highwatermark
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers