Shakespeare Alpha X rods...

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 pm

What do you guys think of these?..I have a 9ft pier/rock alpha x and I like it..was thinking bout getting a 12ft beach caster one...
Good or bad idea??

Cheers

Re: Shakespeare Alpha X rods...

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 pm

....they cast 4-8 oz and I can see 2 and 3 piece versions

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:05 pm

The Alpha X is very much an entry level rod which will suit the beginner to beachcasting or someone who only fishes occasionally. I have used a couple of them over the years and have found them to be reliable and durable however they don't have the same bite indication of a more expensive rod. They nod and sway in the lightest swell and wont give you the same confidence as say a Shakespeare Salt XT 12'9" beachcaster. These can be had for reasonable money and in my humble opinion represent a better long term buy.

The Alpha X will not let you down quality wise but I would advise to spend a little more for a much better product.

Martin

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Got one about a week ago and fished once with 3pc 13" 4-8oz beach version.
Its light and more sensitive than my other rod: Daiwa Sea Hunter X Surf 13ft 4-8oz 2pc
For the price i wouldn't complain, but same time its a bit too sensitive on windy nights id say.
Overall I will never be a pro, will take it easy and I'm happy with the rod, it does the job and got me few fish already ! :mrgreen:
Just my 2 coins ...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Cheers lads...
I am more or less an entry level angler...have been at it for the past year..I don't even have a tripod yet!!..
Thanks for your advice!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:07 pm

I have the spinning rod version now for 2years plus and i cannot fault it superb!funnily enough i had to get a boat rod today and i saw the Alpha x range and bought the 12/20lb class rod for 14euro :shock: it might crack in half but if it is of the same quality as the spinning rod (which has caught some fine fish for me) it should be fine.I have a few other rods that would be a lot more expensive but i guess it's whatever you like and suits you!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 pm

i have the ten ft pier version..tough for a little rod,stiff like,nada wrong with it lad,deadly little thing to have in the rod bag... :)
cheap and almost certainly cheerful.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi lads,
I bought the alpha x 12FT beachcaster and i have to say im very happy with it,im using it as a second rod when im out as i mostly use the 1 st rod that i bought a Penn Extreme Inxs thats the great thing about this site is even though it is a none expensive rod people dont slate each other,how i ended up with one is i was in my local tackle shop for a chat when they came in the shop owner showed me one and i bought it even though i had no intention of buying gear anyway thats how most of us buy gear.

JOHN A

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:51 am

oh the shame of fishing with such cheap gear ,i,d be mortified to be seen out with it :oops: have you no shame :?: funny thing though the fish dont seem to notice :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 am

lucky13 wrote:i have the ten ft pier version..tough for a little rod,stiff like,nada wrong with it lad,deadly little thing to have in the rod bag... :)
cheap and almost certainly cheerful.

+ 1 for lucky's pier rod. Rated up to 8oz and a makes an ideal rock rod for hauling gear and fish around the rough stuff. Can't get over the fact that it was under €20 quid new !!!! I'll be buying one when I see one.