multi for casting { flicking} off a boat.???

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:04 pm

hi guys, Im going to buy a multiplier for casting{ or flicking } off a boat. i havent used multis much so hoping you may help on a make and model for flicking out of the scare area when anchored . a reel that is user friendly . thank for your help.

Re: multi for casting { flicking} off a boat.???

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:14 pm

slosh

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:20 pm

get an avet sx5 magged can use for ur shore and boat fishing

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Preston wrote:slosh

+1......slosh is up for anything,,,,,slosh=(slick little ornament so haul) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:25 pm

525 8) why not use a fixed spool?????????????????

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:58 pm

I noticed a lot of people are going away from multi's and going back to fixed spools but i don't know how a f/s would fair out against a tope. Can't go wrong with a slosh 20 or 30

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Fixed spools are far better for casting/flicking from a boat. Shimano LCs are able to handle anything you will ever encounter in Irish waters bar shark or skate.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:15 am

lowie69 wrote:get an avet sx5 magged can use for ur shore and boat fishing

The magged Avet SX5 is a lovely reel for shore and boat.

But you can't go wrong with a slosh 20 or 30, plus it would probably be far easier to pick one up cheaper than a Avet.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Interesting that nobody has mentioned the Daiwa Saltist 20H, I have two and TBH I prefer them any day over my Avet SX5 mag which just feels a bit clumsy and awkward to me when I want to cast up tide from a boat with an underhand lob. The Daiwa Saltist 20H feels just right, it is a grand little bulletproof reel which never has let me down, neither pulling up a 19lb ling from an offshore wreck (the 7:1 gear ratio helps there no end) nor power casting into an estuary channel with a 6oz weight and 3 baited hooks - and IMHO this reel is certainly better than any of the Sloshes. Bit dearer maybe but way cheaper than an Avet.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:21 pm

hi all thank you for all your replys they are much appreciated. i use fixed spools for all my shore fishing would they be man enough for the job. i have a shamino arelex 7000. spool will hold 150yards 18lb i think. i also have a surf master. and a big pit DAM reel. will any of these do the job. ??. what amount of line would a fixed spool reel need to hold for off a boat??. thanks again.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Yes any of those reels should do fine. Invest in some braid, the amount you need depends on the depth of water you intend to fish but you could put 300yds of 30lb braid plus some mono as backing on any of your fixed spools and this would be more than enough.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:35 pm

dangler wrote:Yes any of those reels should do fine. Invest in some braid, the amount you need depends on the depth of water you intend to fish but you could put 300yds of 30lb braid plus some mono as backing on any of your fixed spools and this would be more than enough.

cheers dangler. ive got 50lb spider wire green on the arlex so ill give that a go. i think there is about 250 yards of braid on it.it been thinner than mono it held more. :D . thanks for all the help on this one lads. tight lines.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 pm

'Flicking' with any multiplier is fraught with danger! Forget it and use your FS, it's no contest whatsoever. I've had tope well over 30lbs in huge currents on the Shannon on a lightish FS outfit, no issues. You'll flick a lot further and much more accurately with a FS and that's a fact.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:51 pm

thanks pete , im more used to FS so ill stay with them. ive a up tider rod that has a soft ish tip. its 9 or 10ft would a rod like that be ok for flicking with a FS? or what rod would you recommend ?: thanks for the reply.
petekd wrote:'Flicking' with any multiplier is fraught with danger! Forget it and use your FS, it's no contest whatsoever. I've had tope well over 30lbs in huge currents on the Shannon on a lightish FS outfit, no issues. You'll flick a lot further and much more accurately with a FS and that's a fact.