Tough mid-size fixed spool?

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi all,

Yes it’s another “what fixed spool” post, albeit slightly different to the usual ones…

I need a fixed spool for surf fishing. It’s to be used on a bass rod, and unlike other posts, I’m not looking for a beach reel, just something that holds 250m of 15lb test and is compact enough to balance nicely on a bass rod.

However, I also want it to be bullet proof yet not way a tonne! I’m sick of reels that fall apart at the sight of seawater, that corrode if they even get splashed and whose gears shred at the sight of a bit of weed.

In an ideal world it would be:
- Less than 600g (700g max) so comfortable to hold for a few hours in the surf
- Be more compact than a standard 8000 sized FS, but still have the ability to crank in line more quickly than a multi and get the lead up to the surface on retrieval
- Have some element of saltwater proofing
- Be tough enough to be able to cope with larger fish and/or weed when the surf has whipped it up

I’ve gone through any amount of reels which have just fallen apart despite washing after each session. At present I just buy mid-priced reels and replace them each year.

Does such a reel exist? Or have I answered my own question and should just get a 525mag!!

Been looking around and initial ground work has thrown up options like the Penn slammer 560 and Shimano Ultegra 5500. Anyone any experience of these reels or can you suggest something similar?

Cheers lads.

Re: Tough mid-size fixed spool?

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:33 pm

My choice would be a Stradic FJ 5000. Around 10oz in weight. It perfectly balances my Supercast bass rod. I used 30lb power pro straight through and it was a pleasure (rubbing knees).

It would also hold plenty of mono 150 15lb. How far do you need to cast anyways?

If you are looking for something beefier, look into

- Soron STX 70 (slightly heavy for a bass rod)

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:33 pm

ive got the abu soron 70 and its a crackin little reel. just weighted it and its 660g, fully spooled with .35 mono and 30lb leader. i use it on my zippy bass rod and on a 15ft foo fighter for scratching and its fine.
its pulled in plenty of weed for me and held up fine. the handle is big and has a large rubber grip and gives it a "big reel" feel. the only thing i dont like is that the handle doesnt fold, nothing major but would be handy if it did.

it says it holds 300m of .35 line but the same reel in the 60 size holds 190m of .35 and is 170ish grams less at 447g empty and would probably hold up to what you need it for too.
https://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_23&products_id=201&zenid=o1o6r0khrftav9ptevd4jpumg4

Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:02 pm

this!!

Tubertini Ryobi AP Power 8000 Reel

Google it, its a mini tank and cheap.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:38 pm

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/reviews.html

Found this when I was googling the Ryobi - looks like he doesn't agree with you Keith!!!!

The Soron on the other hand has jumped to the top of the list! €110/€120 seems pretty reasonable too and I won't be kicking myself if I destroy one within a year...

Rory: in response to your query as to how much line I need:
- I don't like surf bassing with braid. Whilst the bite detection is clearly much better, it's not something that is required as surf bass tend to hit baits like steam trains. But more importantly my own results show that when bait fishing I catch less bass with braid than mono in the surf - no idea why but that's how it is for me. Hence I want a reel that holds 200 yards plus of 15lb mono rather than 200 yards of thinner braid.
- Although I prefer to get out into the suds, it's not always possible. Maybe the surf is too heavy, maybe it's nighttime and I don't want to be out there when there are strong runners - maybe I'm just knackered. So there are times when the tripod comes into play and can be 30 yards out of the water. Having a little extra capacity on the reel is useful. Also applies when there is a flooding tide pushing you back up the beach.

Anyway I'll go and have a look at the AP power and Soron - appreciate your help and advice here folks!

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Get The Ultegra ci4 5500!!

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:43 pm

but a shimano ultegra 5500 and save money in the long run or a cheaper option is the shimano titanos 5500, still a nice reel either way id go for shimano,

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 pm

I can recommend the Banax Extreme GT 5000 Heavy Duty Spinning Reel. If you can track one these reels down here they are worth considering as they offer some great value for money for a tough as nails workhorse. I have one since 3 years and use it for spinning, jigging, bait and lure-fishing from either shore or boat. Never had any troubles and the reel is still as good as new. I bought mine in the US via eBay but you can equally find them on Amazon UK now for £99.99. They come with a 5 year written warranty.
FWIW

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:42 am

penn slammer its the fixed spool version of a 525 :lol: 8) my one has been used for everything including boat fishing its indistructable :lol:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:30 am

Shimano exage or seido in the 6000 size....

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:00 am

Cheers for posting lads - will have a think about what's best to buy and what I can afford!

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:13 pm

I would choose the shimano i have 2 medium size aerlexs over 10yrs still goin strong

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:43 am

I would get a Shimano in the 5000 size. I have the older 5000 FC model and use it for bassing in the surf or estuary, as a reel for float fishing and off small boats for light shadding etc. Great reels for the price!